Ye Olde Caveat Emptor on Buying Perseus Classics

Enoch

I bought, but did not bother to read the details on the Accordance site. Am I wrong or does this this "Perseus Classics" contain only a tiny fraction of the Tufts produced Perseus Classics?  I had already bought the Logos version of Perseus, but the Accordance one has English which can be put parallel.  So I thought I could search these classics as a lexical aid to find a bunch of uses of a particular Greek word like anastasia.  (What kind of departure? -- figurative as in apostasy or rebellion, or a literal departure, as from one place to another, as in The Dormition of Mary "ἀποστασίαν τὴν εἰς Ἰερουσαλὴμ.")  This document is of course very interesting for having a short hop rapture, like that of Philip in Acts.

I continue to wonder why Accordance seems to have the practice of leaving off title pages, table of contents, & introductory material to texts.  I guess sometimes they are issued in separate modules.  I haven't found such yet for this Perseus module.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

Our Perseus module is an attempt to dip our toe in the water to test demand. It's an iffy project because this content is free online, so we just produced a subset to gauge demand. We appreciate any feedback.

We opted not to include tagging, because, frankly, the tagging on the Perseus website is atrocious. We didn't want to release something with that many errors, and because this was a kind of test project, we didn't want to spend the time, effort, and cost of tagging it ourselves.

The headings for the modules can be found in the Greek and English notes modules.

Screen%20Shot%202020-08-10%20at%209.20.2

• Like 2

The advantage I see to having these texts in Accordance is being able to link to them from my notes and having other Accordance resources link to them (particularly for the geographers, but lexicons reference a broader range of classics).

As for tagging, I agree Perseus's idea of crowdsourcing didn't work well. I can't find the page now, but I read they had a new tagging tool and were producing morphological tagging for the Open Greek and Latin project. It should show up in GitHub and the Scaife Viewer when it's ready. Perhaps it isn't yet. I looked at the Illiad in their viewer (link below), and it shows tagging (token list on lower right, after selecting highlight mode), but this looks like possible parses rather than curated tagging. Perhaps the First1KGreek project is ahead of them on tagging.

https://scaife.perseus.org/reader/urn:cts:greekLit:tlg0012.tlg001.perseus-grc2:1.1-1.7/

• Like 1