Catholic Bible Needed

Jim Bates

As a former Protestant and Catholic convert, and very longtime Accordance user, I'm constantly disappointed in the choice of bibles in Accordance. We need to have the New Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition (NRSV-CE) available in Accordance! I hope that many will agree with me!

Jim Bates

• Like 2

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between the NRSV and the NRSV Catholic Edition?

From my understanding the Catholic edition contains the deuterocanonical books, which our has. 

Jim, have you checked out our version of the NRSV?

Screen%20Shot%202020-08-27%20at%208.23.4

Book order differs from NRSV—the deuterocanonical books are not in a separate section before the NT.

For part, the order is … Ezra, Nehemiah, Tobit, Judith, Ester, 1Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Job, Psalms ..

—Joseph

• Like 1

Right, thank you, Joseph!

Book order differs from NRSV—the deuterocanonical books are not in a separate section before the NT.

For part, the order is … Ezra, Nehemiah, Tobit, Judith, Ester, 1Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Job, Psalms ..

—Joseph

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between the NRSV and the NRSV Catholic Edition?

Mark, it's my understanding the Catholic Edition includes the Apocrypha, which the regular NRSV does not.

From my understanding the Catholic edition contains the deuterocanonical books, which our has. 

Jim, have you checked out our version of the NRSV?

Richard, I have not, although I believe I may have purchased it initially with Accordance. I will check it out, although the Apocrypha is all lumped together after the Protestant Old Testament books and in front of the New Testament, so I see where the NRSV-Catholic Edition is unique and different.

When will Accordance offer the NRSV-CE?

Thanks,

Jim Bates

Screen%20Shot%202020-08-27%20at%208.23.4

I believe I mistakenly replied to the three replies in this exchange the wrong way....by inserting my reply within the original message.

I apologize for any confusion.

Jim Bates

Mark, it's my understanding the Catholic Edition includes the Apocrypha, which the regular NRSV does not.

Jim, as richard says, they are there, just that they are grouped together before the nt, rather than spread throughout the canon as in translations like the new jerusalem bible.

In accordance, if you use the catholic study bible notes, the notes marry will up with the correct bible passage despite them being in a different order in the two resources. 

Book order is certainly one thing. However there are textual differences too. The NRSV in Accordance is not the same text as the RSV-CE - apart from the N/non-N differences. In Daniel for example there are an additional 2 chapters. Esther, Daniel and Baruch have additions not in the NRSV if https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterocanonical_booksis accurate.

I have an Ignatius RSV-CE and indeed Daniel ends at ch 14. I checked the Accordance NRSV parallel texts and they do not have this material for Daniel. Likewise Baruch 6 is in the RSV-CE not the NRSV or parallel texts. Now I grant that the content of Baruch 6 appears directly after Baruch 5 in the Letter of Jeremiah in the NRSV but I can imagine searches by someone expecting a CE layout leading to confusion in one context or another.

Checking biblegateway.com because I don't have an NRSV-CE I see these differences are still present in the N.

I haven't checked Esther but I have no reason to doubt there are differences there.

I'm no CE expert but clearly there are differences.

Thx

D

• Like 2

I do have the NRSV-CE and I confirm your observations, Daniel. 

—Joseph

• Like 1

I can confirm having both editions of the NRSV the NRSV-CE is more convenient for catholics but all the books and parts there of are in NRSV just rearranged differently and in the case of some books (parts of) are in the secondary module NRSV Parallel texts. Daniel those items are there just not title the same.

The Prayer of AZARIAH and the Song of the Three Jews

(Additions to Daniel, inserted between 3:23 and 3:24)

SUSANNA
(Chapter 13 of the Greek version of Daniel)

BEL AND THE DRAGON
(Chapter 14 of the Greek version of Daniel)

-dan
  • Like 1

Thanx for the corrections Dan. Is that also true for the variations in Esther ? I didn't check.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Dan, you just gave the details that finally made me understand what the NRSV parallel texts did. I had read the words describing the parallels, but I had always thought of them as alternate texts for something present in the main NRSV instead of something that is an addition to the NRSV Masoretic based portions.

Many thanks,

Joseph the Slow ;)

• Like 1

Dan, you just gave the details that finally made me understand what the NRSV parallel texts did. I had read the words describing the parallels, but I had always thought of them as alternate texts for something present in the main NRSV instead of something that is an addition to the NRSV Masoretic based portions.

Many thanks,

Joseph the Slow ;)

Parallel are often the Greek Texts, as in the Bible are the Masoretic texts. 

But Accordance handle this not always the same. I would love if they would do.