Contextual Menu Amplify to Commentary Logic change

Iconoclaste

Here are notes from a class I am teaching on Accordance Bible Software. 

“Commentary” will look up the word and the reference according to the following logic, which is very similar:

Remember that the “Reference” search field in a commentary is the field for the passage of Scripture that the commentary is commenting on. The “Scripture” search field in a commentary are any references to passages of Scripture outside the immediate verse(s) currently being commented on. 

1) Accordance will only look at the first commentary in the order that commentaries are found in the Library. 

This means that you must change the order in your library so that the first commentary is a commentary that covers the entire Bible, otherwise this feature will be much less useful to you. 

2) Accordance will search for the selection's reference in the “Reference” search field, and also for the selection's word in the “Title” search field.

3) If 2) yields no results, Accordance will search for the selection's reference in the “Reference” search field, and also for the selection's word in the “English Content” search field.

4) If 2) and 3) yield no results, Accordance will search for the word in the “Title” search field.

5) If 2) through 4) yield no results, Accordance will search for the word in the “English Content” search field.

This logic may yield results that are more relevant with 5) than with 4). Unfortunately, the “Scripture” search field is not part of the Accordance's searches that it runs when amplifying from the contextual menu to a commentary. 

It seems to make most sense to me that after trying Reference + Title and Reference + English Content, Accordance should search for Scripture + Title and Scripture +English content before resorting to simply search for the selected word in “Title” then in “English Content”. That is my feature request and it seems to me like this should be a pretty easy change to make. 

Shalom

• Like 1