Failed text command search

miketisdell

If I use a TEXT command to search both the Hebrew text and ESVS for על כן <AND> [ESVS therefore] I get 2 hits.

post-35053-0-33142500-1599237421_thumb.jpg

However, if I search the Hebrew text only for על כן and the contents of an ESVS tab that has a search for "therefore" I get 116 hits. 

post-35053-0-65319200-1599237432_thumb.jpg

post-35053-0-55686200-1599237447_thumb.jpg

Most of these differences are due to tagging inadequacies in the ESV.  Consider hits like in Lev. 17:12, the ESVS simply didn't tag 'Therefore', so Accordance couldn't match the words.  If you use a more complete tagging, like the NIV11-GKE, this will pick up most of the other hits (of course, it doesn't translate the same way).

The other thing accounting for discrepancies, like Gen 11:19, has to do with the nature of vs @.  It seems like your search is looking for places where that Hebrew phrase was translated 'Therefore'.  For this type of search, where you want alignment within a form, you should be using @.   implies that you are looking for a *separate* word within the verse, not a congruent word.

The final reason you have *some* Genesis hits, but not all of them is, again, due to the inconsistency of the ESVS.  I'm not sure why it tagged differently Gen 2:24's Therefore (כֵּן) from Gen 11:9's Therefore (עַל).

I hope this helps clarify!