• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 A.D. Riddle

A.D. Riddle

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, historical geography, ANE history and languages, Bible history, archaeology
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:06 PM

When I first got started with Accordance, I would have described Accordance as a tool for academic and scholarly study of texts. Over the last decade or so, however, it seems more and more attention is given to pastoral and theological interests. One result of this seems to be that when someone requests an academic reference work, it has become more common to hear that there would first need to be considerable user interest before Accordance even thinks about developing the requested item. I personally feel that this is a very unfortunate trend, but I expect I am powerless to stop it. In the good old days, it did not seem to be such a high priority that there first needed to be such high demand.

One example of this situation arose when a user requested Yeivin’s Introduction to the Tibernian Masorah.

I would like to propose a possible way forward for dealing with such requests, especially when no e-text is available. The idea comes from Christian Classics Ethereal Library (CCEL). Many years ago, I helped to edit some e-texts for them. CCEL placed a rough-OCR text on their website along with a progress chart organized by page numbers taken from the original printed volume. Volunteers could log-in to copy-edit the text against a scanned image of the original page and to add hypertext links.

I wonder if Accordance and its users would be open to such an idea. After Accordance negotiated production rights, I (or anyone) could make a high-quality scan, OCR it, and place both images and e-text on a password-protected page. Someone would voluntarily assume the role of project manager, and volunteers would help copy-edit and tag one or two pages, maybe more. After a few months, we should have a fully useable e-text that Accordance can then package as a module. Perhaps volunteers who produced X amount of work could be rewarded with a free copy of the module.

I know there are a few works that would be great in Accordance (such as Yeivin), and if production time vs. high demand is the chief obstacle, I would gladly volunteer to help others develop the e-text.

A.D.

• Leopold Green, Unix, Michel Gilbert and 4 others like this

#2 Donald Cobb

Donald Cobb

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:31 AM

I think this is a great idea. I have often thought that a way forward for research works would be enlisting volunteers with a good academic knowledge of the area of expertise of such and such a work.

My interest is in more in NT. I have already made the request for Moulton and Milligan, a work that is somewhat dated but, AFAIK, has yet to be replaced by something more up to date. It came as part of the basic package in BibleWorks and is sold by "that other company" but has yet to be picked up by Accordance. This Lexicon in now in the public domain, so it would only need to be put into electronic format.

Would Accordance be willing to put out a request for enlisting volunteers and working on some initial projects?

• Leopold Green likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users