Wordsearch Users

rcdeacon

So the new WORDsearch package has all those resources? What if you don’t own some of them, are they still included in the package regardless of you owning some and not others (e.g. NAC).

Thanks

As I understand it if you show you have Wordsearch then you get all the modules in the package. This is what makes the collection so generous. From the linked webpage -

Note: The WS Crossover Collection is available to any users who currently own any version of Wordsearch. The Triple Starter is available to anyone (not just Wordsearch customers.) The sale price on the Triple Starter is good through December 31, 2020 (11:59 EST).

• Like 1

As I understand it if you show you have Wordsearch then you get all the modules in the package. This is what makes the collection so generous. From the linked webpage -

Note: The WS Crossover Collection is available to any users who currently own any version of Wordsearch. The Triple Starter is available to anyone (not just Wordsearch customers.) The sale price on the Triple Starter is good through December 31, 2020 (11:59 EST).

The only thing keeping me from buying it cash is the agreement that needs to be signed.

What if I die and will it to someone in ministry? Does the copy die with me? Or get sick and I can’t use the software anymore?

I’ll call to get some clarification. Because my resources already downloaded to Logos.

• Like 1

The only thing keeping me from buying it cash is the agreement that needs to be signed.

What if I die and will it to someone in ministry? Does the copy die with me? Or get sick and I can’t use the software anymore?

I’ll call to get some clarification. Because my resources already downloaded to Logos.

Your Accordance purchases belong to you, just as if you'd purchased them as hardcopies. You can transfer your licenses to anyone you wish, at any time, for a processing fee of $25 for your entire library. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/Legal#transfer/

EDIT: I just found out that our license does not allow transfer by sale or gift (including bequeathment) of any product obtained via Crossover pricing. However, we are going to re-examine this policy, and we will announce any changes if a different decision is reached. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 3

I think the agreement relates solely to your Wordsearch software/modules. Selling that on could potentially allow someone else the opportunity to upgrade at greatly reduced price.

I would think your ability to bequest/sell your Accordance purchase down the track would not necessarily fall under this aspect of the agreement.

But as I mentioned long ago. There is no solution if I die! So there must be a solution for this. An special field in the "My Account" or something else.

• Like 2

Alright! I’ll download the form email it and call so I can get a faster process! I really want to grow my Accordance library some more. And the package is generous as others have pointed out. NAC and CBL is a nice addition. I’ll probably add the CNTTS to boost it up even more now that I’m taking Greek again.

• Like 2

But as I mentioned long ago. There is no solution if I die! So there must be a solution for this. An special field in the "My Account" or something else.

There's been a solution to this for years. Go to https://www.accordancebible.com/Legal#transfer, download the transfer form, and include it in your will. If you want, you can even ask the sales staff to put a note in your account in regard to the transfer upon time of death and receipt of the form from whomever you've willed it.

• Like 3

I just got back from work and submitted my WS Crossover form and payment!

I hope it gets processed today. This is very exciting

• Like 2

Okay, clarification: currently our license does not allow transfer by sale or gift (including bequeathment) of any product obtained via Crossover pricing. However, we are going to re-examine this policy, and we will announce any changes if a different decision is reached.  

• Like 2

So I can give away my original Accordance library, but not the crossover? Or how would it work? I think it’d be nice to reconsider the policy.

Hmmm

Okay, I checked into this. I found that initially, when we made the BW crossover packages available, there was some confusion over who exactly qualified. However, this was remedied in the early days of the offer. Basically, if you owned any version of BW, you qualify for the BW crossover. I apologize that perhaps you got caught in some of the early mixup. If you still want to claim it you can. Feel free to drop my name :-)

Just note that in regard to the BW crossover packages, and any potential "other" upcoming similar offerings, we don't offer custom upgrades. These packages are sold at such low cost, primarily to attract new customers, that we're doing little more than covering royalties, which is even tighter considering all these crossover purchases have to be manually processed.

Rick, but what you say contradicts with the description of the BW Crossover page https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=BW%20Crossover13-Basic%208-10. and Here https://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-4-BibleWorks/

Here it says: This package is offered to owners of BibleWorks versions 8-10 who are purchasing Accordance for the first time.

I guess Accordance has to check this page again. 

Edited by Fabian

There's been a solution to this for years. Go to https://www.accordancebible.com/Legal#transfer, download the transfer form, and include it in your will. If you want, you can even ask the sales staff to put a note in your account in regard to the transfer upon time of death and receipt of the form from whomever you've willed it.

I thought more of a "Your purchases won't be lost if you ... . To be sure just in case. Please fill ... " In the General or the Profile. For example a second E-Mail address and when you get an e-mail from this one you know the case has happened. So the customer aren't afraid to purchase by Accordance. Not a paper anywhere in the least corner, which is designed initially for selling modules. 

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place and feel free to redirect me to somewhere to have more discussions.

I'm primarily a Logos users and has a big library there. I also uses WORDsearch and other bible softwares and only used the free version of Accordance.

I'm happy that all my WORDsearch titles are migrated to Logos. But now I see this deal from Accordance I'm very tempted.

I've a couple of questions or suggestions, most probably it has been answered somewhere so feel free to direct me to other links:

• I'm also slightly worried about the agreement to not transfer it. I'm thinking about the long term implication to it, not that I want to profit from it. To me it is enough to modify it to something like "cannot transfer within 2 years" or something like that.
  • I heard above that it is non-refundable. I understand that they said it is selling at cost not including human labor so it might actually be at loss. But on the other hand I'd like to be protected in case I really don't like the software.
  • Is there somewhere I can see the feature parity between various platforms that Accordance support? I don't expect the mobile platforms to be fully featured, but am especially interested in how that on Windows and Mac compared. In Logos, although they said that both Windows and Mac has the same feature parity, it still still seems that Logos is primarily a Windows software (I think they still used Mono somewhere?)
    • And for example a programming interface only existed on Windows platform. I wonder if there's a similar situation here on Accordance. e.g. it seems to me that it is a Mac first software and later ported to Windows? How the code base are developed? e.g. do they use native UI? Do they have programming interface on either platform? (e.g. Applescript?)
      • More on API, does it exist a software (perhaps unofficial from users) that can let Logos and Accordance work together, even as simple as scrolling to the same scripture location? I think on Logos' side it is possible on Windows and some users wrote their own program to sync Logos on Windows to another Bible software that I forgot the name.

• Also, does it work on Linux unofficially (I don't it doesn't support it, but e.g. in Logos recently users am able to install Logos for Windows on Linux via Wine.)?

• I notice in addition to WORDsearch crossgrade, there's also https://www.accordancebible.com/Crossgrades e.g. for users having titles on Logos already.
    • On both of them it seems Zondervan's titles are missing. Is it something that the publisher don't allow so that there's nothing you can do? I've quite a few Zondervan titles so I'm quite concern about this.
    • Although the crossgrade discount is quite generous already, if someone (like me) owned a lot from Logos already (which is unsurprising considering Logos' collection are big and it seems it is their business model to draw you into big discount but expensive collections), will there be a way to have a bigger bundle that is even cheaper, possibly by negotiating individually depending on what I owned?

• I want to know more about how Logos and Accordance compared. Many of those comparisons compare their features, or price point, etc. Could you refer me to comparison more about its philosophy, culture, and background?
    • e.g. it seems to me that Logos users are often more "busy" in chasing deals and freebies and need to strategically consider how they upgrade and the timing etc., it seems to me it is much calmer in Accordance? While I missed having freebies from Logos, it seems that in Accordance I don't have to be constantly distracted by having deals and savings for the future?
    • how about the culture? I heard people saying the forum here is very good and supportive. In Logos it is not rare to see some weird things and debate over there... (e.g. one user actually accused people saying it is sinful to install Logos on Linux...)
    • I heard here and there how Accordance work with scholars to have better maps and original language tools and I'd like to hear more about them. In Logos in recent years they have their own in house scholars and publishing which seems to be doing good work but at the same time their stuffs are so expensive comparing to works from other publishers.
    • I know that people also said upgrading in Accordance is cheaper. In Logos they draw us to spend hundreds in every major upgrade (like once per 2 years) although free upgrade is available, and in Accordance I heard that it is like ~$60. How does it work in Accordance? e.g. how freq. is it per major upgrade, and are there free upgrade? If so then often what would be missing comparing to paid upgrade?

• Some questions about Bible and original language (you may assume with the WORDsearch crossgrade titles too if the answer depends on what resources I own)
    • I downloaded the free version and I see that it is using Strong's number. Behind the scene does that use something more accurate? I asked so because Strong's number is less accurate that mixes some words and Logos seem to link by the original word.
    • Is there any way I can study the root of an original word easily? (Logos added this feature a few years ago.) e.g. search by a certain root rather than a word, or see the occurrence of a certain root in different words, etc.
    • Is interlinear available? And which translations? In Logos all major English translations and the Chinese versions I used is linked with the original words so that an interlinear version of it can be shown.
    • Is there any resource similar to the Discourse analysis tool in Logos?
    • It there any helper that shows the morphology of the word I'm reading?
    • Is there syntax highlight (similar to Logos') that e.g. I can add a filter and highlight singular form and plural differently, or tenses, etc.

• Is it easy or encouraged to access the original file of the title I owned?
    • e.g. In Logos all resources are encrypted and they discourage us to inspect the original content. i.e. the only interface to their resources is Logos only and I can't use my favorite programming language to manipulate the data.
    • e.g. There's a SQLite database in Logos but they discourage us to manipulate with it. In WORDsearch, there's some xml and json files that's very easy to go through programmatically.

• Creating "Personal Books": from https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/15236-convert-a-logos-user-an-accordance-personal-book-equivalent/ and http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/ it seems personal books can be created.
    • From https://github.com/schierlm/BibleMultiConverter , it seems that Accordance titles can be imported and exported, e.g. as Logos personal books. And similarly I can export Accordance books from other sources. Is it correct?
    • I'm interested in the authoring process. e.g. in Logos they author in docx, has additional markup language for things like milestone, verse, etc. From the link about it seems Accordance import from HTML? Is it the only format it accepts? Are there additional Accordance specific markup language such as versification, etc.?

Thanks. Looking forward to hear from some of you!

I'm going to do the Wordsearch Crossover myself, just to protect the investment of the main resources I used in Logos under Accordance. Most of the resources I had planned to crossgrade made it into the package, so at that price, I can't beat it. :-)

Rick, I'll work on drafting that feature equivalent comparison and will send it to you.

• Like 4

My WS Crossover finished installation last night! And My Logos investment is protected! Now concerning the WS Crossover, I’m sure Accordance will revise the agreement in a way that’s fair for all parties involved! Thanks for the generous deal!

• Like 1

Rick, but what you say contradicts with the description of the BW Crossover page https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=BW%20Crossover13-Basic%208-10. and Here https://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-4-BibleWorks/

Here it says: This package is offered to owners of BibleWorks versions 8-10 who are purchasing Accordance for the first time.

I guess Accordance has to check this page again. 

We never changed the wording on the page, but we did change the policy in regard to our sales staff as they are approving the orders. 

being an Accordance user, I am also a Wordsearch 12 user. Will there eventually be a way to migrate some or all of my resources into Accordance?

There’s really no way to do this because of both proprietary formats and licensing. That is, we can’t build a translation method to convert your WS formatted content over to Accordance in say something like a user tool because WS formats are proprietary and now owned by the company’s buyer. We could pursue licensing for content that is in the WS Library that’s not in ours, but realistically, many of the WS titles wouldn’t necessarily be a priority for us. When WS was bought out, the licensing is included in the sale to the new company (I assume and for the most part), so they are able to offer you copies of the content in their own proprietary format. Whether or not you have to pay extra for features in the software engine of the other company or upgrades to an impending new release is another matter. 

Having said all that, if you were really motivated to convert a particular book you have on another platform into Accordance, there’s always cut and paste into a User Tool. Believe it or not, I’ve done that myself before. It takes a while but can be done. 

• Like 1

Rick,

Will the rest of the modules from CBL be included with our purchase of the WS Crossover Package? Mainly, The Greek Grammar. I know Harmony of the Gospels is still included but will not be produced as a separate module nor the interlinear.

Thanks!

Thank you Rick. I also have done the cut and paste thing but it is time consuming.

Will the rest of the modules from CBL be included with our purchase of the WS Crossover Package? Mainly, The Greek Grammar. I know Harmony of the Gospels is still included but will not be produced as a separate module nor the interlinear.

I know for certain the Greek grammar is coming. 

Thanks Rick!

I did share about Accordance's deal for Wordsearch users on my FB feed.  I tend to think they'll be happier with Accordance.

• Like 3

Hey Rick, 

The form to be filled out for the crossover, I can't fill it out on my computer. Do I print it out, fill it out, and then mail it in?