Cannot search for keynumber.

Jesse Dornfeld

There is a specific word that I cannot search for in any of my lexicons. The Key is [KEY G0377].

Thanks for any help with this.

It does not work to look up in a lexicon the word "recline" in Luke 22:14 but it does work for the word "recline" for Luke 22:27.

What English text are you using ? Works for me for both on ESVS.

Also, what is the dictionary it looks up in ?

I assume you are selecting the word and doing right click Lookup -> Dictionary.

If not let me know the steps.

thx

D

• Like 1

What English text are you using ? Works for me for both on ESVS.

Also, what is the dictionary it looks up in ?

I assume you are selecting the word and doing right click Lookup -> Dictionary.

If not let me know the steps.

thx

D

Hi, thanks for your post.

I am using the ESVS. I am triple clicking on the word, so it is different than key number lookup. Nothing happens when I search "Look Up>Dictionary" except the application makes a noise.

I found out some things. The problem has to do with the way I am looking up the word of the word for some reason. When I try and look it up in a dictionary, it gives a noise and does nothing. If I look it up in "Research> Greek Lexicons" I get a proper result.

I often triple click a word to get the information asap. I have it set up to look into the TDNT (Little Kittel). Unfortunately when I try and look up the key number in any lexicon that you can enter a key number, it does not work. When I enter the Greek Entry, it does work. So something must be off with the Key Number lookup.

I have the same exact problem with the word minas that I have found so far.

You know .... I really ought to read the question fully before responding.

Lk 22:14 is G0377 while Lk 22:27 is G0345.

The English word "recline" is used to translate two different Greek words.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Jesse,

The issue is that ἀναπίπτω, the word translated "reclined" in Luke 22:14 in the ESVS, isn't an entry in Little Kittel. 

• Like 1

Jesse,

The issue is that ἀναπίπτω, the word translated "reclined" in Luke 22:14 in the ESVS, isn't an entry in Little Kittel. 

Thanks, Mark. I suppose this is the case with the word "minas" as well?

Thanks, Mark. I suppose this is the case with the word "minas" as well?

That's right. Little Kittle's preface notes that it only includes "words of religious or theological significance..." It's not a comprehensive lexicon, so I'd hesitate to use it as my default.

• Like 1

That's right. Little Kittle's preface notes that it only includes "words of religious or theological significance..." It's not a comprehensive lexicon, so I'd hesitate to use it as my default.

Mark,

The Greek Lexicons that I have are:

1. Greek Strongs Dictionary

2. Mounce Greek Dictionary

3. Thayer

4. Trench: Synonyms of the NT

5. TDNT (Little Kittle)

I generally want to do a bit more of a thorough dive when I look up words so what Lexicon would you recommend I set to default?

Mark,

The Greek Lexicons that I have are:

1. Greek Strongs Dictionary

2. Mounce Greek Dictionary

3. Thayer

4. Trench: Synonyms of the NT

5. TDNT (Little Kittle)

I generally want to do a bit more of a thorough dive when I look up words so what Lexicon would you recommend I set to default?

My suggestion would be to set TDNT as your default in the "Amplify" section of the Preferences. Then, in your Library, put Thayer immediately below it, and Mounce below Thayer.

That way, if the word is not found in TDNT, it will try Thayer. If it's not found in Thayer, it will go to Mounce.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to set TDNT as your default in the "Amplify" section of the Preferences. Then, in your Library, put Thayer immediately below it, and Mounce below Thayer.

That way, if the word is not found in TDNT, it will try Thayer. If it's not found in Thayer, it will go to Mounce.

And what you have set in the "Preference" put this in top in the Library.

• Like 1

Mounce would be the one I would set as default out of those five. It covers all words but limits its definitions to what is known as a gloss (a brief meaning of the word). You can then amplify from there to you other lexicons such as TDNT.

I would at some stage suggest you add the Mounce Expository Dictionary and NIDNTEE to complement TDNT.