Pasting into Word in Parallels

Helen Brown

A user reports that pasting Unicode text from Accordance into Word in Parallels no longer works. It works OK in 8.2 but did not work in 8.2.1 or 8.2.2. This may be related to the clipboard changes which were made in response to a Forum post, but before I send it back to the developer, can anyone confirm whether the paste is working for them? It is fine for me, but I use Fusion rather than Parallels.

Pasting Unicode Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, and Arabic into Parallels works for me.

Here's my setup:

Accordance 8.2.2

Word 2003 in Windows XP SP3 under Parallels 3.0 build 5608*

OS X 10.5.6 with all security patches to date

*not the latest build of v. 3, since they are now on v. 4

I know the shared clipboard functionality has frequently broken in the past in Parallels after OS X security updates, so that might be a factor (but they may have addressed this by now).

I can confirm that it is NOT working on my MBP using Word 2007 and Parallels 4.

I can confirm that it is NOT working on my MBP using Word 2007 and Parallels 4.

Rick,

Just to verify, you are running Accordance 8.2.2? And Mac OS X 10.5.6?

Scott.

Yes, and yes.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking this was fixed; but evidently, it's broken again.

Unicode pasting into Word 2007 in Windows Vista in Parallels 4.0.3844 from Accordance 8.2.3 is not working.

I also tried pasting into another Windows word processor and it didn't work either.

• 1 month later...
A user reports that pasting Unicode text from Accordance into Word in Parallels no longer works. It works OK in 8.2 but did not work in 8.2.1 or 8.2.2. This may be related to the clipboard changes which were made in response to a Forum post, but before I send it back to the developer, can anyone confirm whether the paste is working for them? It is fine for me, but I use Fusion rather than Parallels.

Any update on this? I just purchased and installed Accordance 8.2.3 (running in Mac OS 10.5.8) and am disappointed to find that I cannot paste Unicode text into Parallels 4.0.3844 running Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (regardless of word processor). Strangely, it occasionally works if I copy only a single word or part of a word, but even that is erratic. On the other hand, I've found that if I first copy and paste into a TextEdit window, then re-copy and paste from TextEdit into Windows, it works 100% of the time. Not very efficient, though.

I'm wondering at this point if/when Accordance will make the switch to working natively in Unicode. I realize this would mean (among other things) converting all existing modules, but Unicode is clearly the standard now, and surely it would make things more efficient in the long run. I would think that an automated way existed for doing so using a macro of some sort (I'm not a seasoned programmer, though). The pre-Unicode days were so frustrating when one had to be committed to only one font since every font was mapped (masked?) differently. I was hoping not to return to them with Accordance. It would be nice even to be able to type/paste Unicode text into Accordance search boxes, etc.

Anyway, since this thread has been dead for two months, and no mention has been made of any corrections since 8.2.2 (even though 8.2.3 has been released), I'm hoping to hear something on the copy/paste issue.

I do have to say I'm rather pleased with the overall functionality of Accordance though (just so I don't sound like sour grapes!).

Thanks for any help on this.

In 8.2.1 we made a change in the clipboard code to try to fix another problem. This change was reversed in 8.2.3 so that the clipboard should be working as it did in 8.2. Our problem is that we cannot reproduce the issue here, so we rely on reports from users. If others would report on 8.2.3 and Parallels, specifying whioch Parallels, Windows, and Word they use, this might help us to deal with what is evidently a really tricky issue.

Now would be a good time as 8.3 is in beta testing.

In 8.2.1 we made a change in the clipboard code to try to fix another problem. This change was reversed in 8.2.3 so that the clipboard should be working as it did in 8.2. Our problem is that we cannot reproduce the issue here, so we rely on reports from users. If others would report on 8.2.3 and Parallels, specifying whioch Parallels, Windows, and Word they use, this might help us to deal with what is evidently a really tricky issue.

FWIW, I use Microsoft Office Word 2003 (11.8307.8221) SP3, but as I said it doesn't seem to matter. Pasting Unicode into Notepad in Windows does the same thing (e.g. Χριστός pastes as "Cristo/"). For lengthier examples, the unpointed Hebrew of Gen 1:1 (‏‏בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ׃) pastes as "braCyt bra alhyM at hCmyM wat harX:." The opening clause of John 3:16 (οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον) pastes as "outw gar hjgaphsen oJ qeo\ to\n ko/smon."

Strangely, for the first time yet, when collecting text for these examples I was just able to get a whole string to paste correctly (John 1:1: Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος)! And I did NOTHING differently. I even got the first clause of John 1:2 to paste correctly immediately thereafter. Then I went over to Romans 5:12 to test it--failure. Upon returning to John 1:1, it didn't work again (now pastes as "En archv hn oJ lo/go"). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. (As I said, it is erratic.) Not sure what would cause the unpredictability. Something seems to be getting toggled on/off during the course of normal operations (while selecting text, going to a new reference, etc.).

Let me know what (if any) further information I can offer.

Matt

I wish I had tried this before updating Parallels.

Anyway, I just pasted text from Accordance 8.2.3 into Word 2007 (SP2) in Parallels 5 (beta). The Greek paste works, but the Hebrew is reversed. HOWEVER, I don't know if something's supposed to be done first in Word for Windows in order to use right to left characters.

http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/assets/Accordance/w2007.jpg

I wish I had tried this before updating Parallels.

Anyway, I just pasted text from Accordance 8.2.3 into Word 2007 (SP2) in Parallels 5 (beta). The Greek paste works, but the Hebrew is reversed. HOWEVER, I don't know if something's supposed to be done first in Word for Windows in order to use right to left characters.

Just curious. Does Word for Windows handle Hebrew text correctly? Word for Mac always reverses Hebrew, which is why I am trying to learn to like Mellel.

Jack

Just curious. Does Word for Windows handle Hebrew text correctly? Word for Mac always reverses Hebrew, which is why I am trying to learn to like Mellel.

Yes, the right to left issue is not a problem for Word for Windows like it is for Word/Mac. I just haven't used WinWord for any serious work since 1998, so I don't know if something needs to be done for right to left text--such as switch text direction--before text is pasted into it.

Yes, the right to left issue is not a problem for Word for Windows like it is for Word/Mac. I just haven't used WinWord for any serious work since 1998, so I don't know if something needs to be done for right to left text--such as switch text direction--before text is pasted into it.

I believe the only setting that needs adjustment is in Windows itself, not Word. In Control Panel, select "Regional and Language Options," then on the "Languages" tab make sure to check the box "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)." These instructions are for Windows XP. I'm not sure whether it's the same in Vista. Other than that, it should work.

Matt

I believe the only setting that needs adjustment is in Windows itself, not Word. In Control Panel, select "Regional and Language Options," then on the "Languages" tab make sure to check the box "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)." These instructions are for Windows XP. I'm not sure whether it's the same in Vista. Other than that, it should work.

Okay, the process wasn't exactly the same, but I figured it out (I think).

Regardless, Hebrew text is now pasting correctly right to left. I note that it says "Arabic" down at the bottom of Word. I have no idea why, but at least it's working.

http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/assets/Accordance/w2007b.jpg

Regardless, Hebrew text is now pasting correctly right to left. I note that it says "Arabic" down at the bottom of Word. I have no idea why, but at least it's working.

So apparently it works with Word 2007 (SP2) in Parallels 5 (beta). Why not with my setup (see above)? Here is the exact same Unicode text (from your first post) pasted into mine (click to enlarge):

post-29690-1250658655_thumb.jpg

So apparently it works with Word 2007 (SP2) in Parallels 5 (beta). Why not with my setup (see above)? Here is the exact same Unicode text (from your first post) pasted into mine (click to enlarge):

post-29690-1250658655_thumb.jpg

Matthew,

I believe the common denominator is Parallels 4. I have set to see a user report this issue running Parallels 3 or Parallels 5 (Beta) once we reverted the code change back to what was released in 8.2. As Helen stated, the code was reverted in 8.2.3.

Scott.

I believe the common denominator is Parallels 4. I have [y]et to see a user report this issue running Parallels 3 or Parallels 5 (Beta) once we reverted the code change back to what was released in 8.2. As Helen stated, the code was reverted in 8.2.3.

That may well be, and yet (as I earlier noted) when I first paste the text into TextEdit, and then re-copy/paste from there into Parallels 4, it works flawlessly, every time. What is it about the way TextEdit copies Unicode to the clipboard that differs from Accordance and precludes the problem?

That may well be, and yet (as I earlier noted) when I first paste the text into TextEdit, and then re-copy/paste from there into Parallels 4, it works flawlessly, every time. What is it about the way TextEdit copies Unicode to the clipboard that differs from Accordance and precludes the problem?

Matthew,

It's great that you have found a workaround by pasting into TextEdit first. As to what is different between TextEdit and Accordance when copying to the clipboard? Well, it could be several things, but there is no doubt that this is something we need to make more reliable. Except for the minor changes made to the clipboard code in 8.2.1 (and then removed in 8.2.3) this code has been untouched for several versions of Accordance. The feedback we have seen with regards to Parallels: working in Parallels 3, broken in Parallels 4, working in Parallels 5 (beta), shows that the issue is not entirely our fault. But there are changes we can make to improve the situation and we are working on it.

Scott.

• 2 years later...

I've been considering starting a thread about this for a while, but lo and behold, it's been an issue for others (and an old one)!

I'm running Accordance 9.5.1, OSX 10.6.8, Windows 7 Pro SP1, Parallels 6.0.12106, and Windows Word 14.0.6112.5000 (32-bit).

When I am using Accordance and cut/paste Unicode Hebrew (or Greek) to Word in Windows, often everything works just peachy. But once in a while, though I have Unicode checked in preferences, it seems to revert to attempting to paste Yehudit (or Helena). As other people have described, if I first paste into a Mac word processor, such as Mellel, then I see Unicode and can copy/paste from there into Word without a problem.

I wish I could be more specific, especially in terms of the conditions which seem to cause the shift from it working to not working. Is anyone else still experiencing this difficulty?

Thanks,

Tony

Accordance converts to Unicode when you "leave" Accordance. Perhaps you are sometimes going straight into Word in Parallels without ever bringing the Mac Finder or another application to the front, and the conversion hasn't occurred or isn't triggered.

Accordance converts to Unicode when you "leave" Accordance. Perhaps you are sometimes going straight into Word in Parallels without ever bringing the Mac Finder or another application to the front, and the conversion hasn't occurred or isn't triggered.

Ah! I had not known this was necessary, but it would explain what appeared to me an erratic "sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't". I've been trying this all day today and it appears to work just fine.

Thank you, Helen!

Tony

Archived