Intermittent issues with User Tool tool links

mikes

I'm having intermittent issues with tool links. Some I cannot seem to get to work at all, others seem to work if I just start over. For example, to make sure I wasn't mistyping, I copy+paste the link text from the help file into my user tool, highlight it, link button, then update and it gives me the ambiguous link error. Then I delete the link, create the same text by hand, and it works!

Greek tool entries give me the biggest headache. It is totally hit or miss. With these I put in something like "[Thayer, Greek Entry, <copy+paste_word_from_entry>]". It mangles the font to pull it into something I'm sure the parser requires to understand. Here's one that keeps failing on me:

[Thayer, Greek Entry, paramuqe

Here's one I get a different error on:

[Vincent-Word Studies, Reference, 1 th 2:11]

I get the error: "A valid book name must be entered at the selection point"

The error is caused by the colon. Use a period instead and it will work. Thus:

[Vincent-Word Studies, Reference, 1 th 2.11]

Any hints on the other links?

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Greek tool entries give me the biggest headache. It is totally hit or miss. With these I put in something like "[Thayer, Greek Entry, ]". It mangles the font to pull it into something I'm sure the parser requires to understand. Here's one that keeps failing on me:

[Thayer, Greek Entry, paramuqe

Mike,

I'm sorry this one slipped past me. I suspect the problem with links not working (as in the parathumeomai example) is that you've inadvertently included the return character in the links. We've run into this before where if a link is followed by a return and that return is formatted as part of the link, it causes the link to fail. We really should check for that to avoid an error which is impossible to see. If that's not the problem with this link, I'm afraid I'm stumped.

I am not sure I see a problem. Yes the greek characters convert to a nonsense word in English, but the link works for me . . .

Any clue as to why that same link wouldn't be working for me?

Are you careful to add a return after the link, but not include it in the selection for the link?

Are you careful to add a return after the link, but not include it in the selection for the link?

Looks like that was it. I had a tab before it that I removed, and put a "fresh" return after it, then made the link, the saved.

Thank you Helen!

Archived