Make the Switch Accordance Video

Dr. Nathan Parker

It'd be funny if a couple of people would get together and make a video promoting Accordance's Make the Switch. One guy would start out by saying "Hello I'm Accordance" and the other "and I'm a PC Bible Software program ported to Mac". Then these videos would show where Accordance excels in Bible study and where the weaknesses of the competition is. It'd be humorous to watch these on YouTube. Maybe even us customers could be some of the ones to shoot them and post them on a YouTube Accordance group.

How does this sound? Sounds like a fun and humorous way to spread the word.

Gee, I wonder where I got the idea at. ;)

We have in fact been considering this idea for years, and more so recently in regards to the Complete the Switch. One problem is that so much of our resources are devoted to improving Accordance and adding to the modules that we have little left for marketing.

We even thought of inviting script ideas on the forum, with perhaps a reward for those that get used.

We have not come up with a better opening line than the very awkward one you propose:

"Hello I'm Accordance" and "and I'm a PC Bible Software program ported to Mac"

It hardly has the same punch as "I'm a Mac" and "I'm a PC."

So, anyone have ideas for an opening line or a script, or any volunteers to produce one for us?

I like the idea, but I think I'd take it a little more direct.

"I'm Accordance" and "I'm Logos for Mac"

I don't see any of the others as offering much in the way of competition. Plus Logos for Mac is not technically a port of their windows version, it does appear to be the red-headed step child as it clearly lacks feature equivalency with the windows version.

Pastor Ed Cross

We try to avoid making statements about any specific competitor, so that solution is not an option for anything we produce or promote.

We try to avoid making statements about any specific competitor, so that solution is not an option for anything we produce or promote.

Why not a simple ...

"I'm Accordance." ... "I'm not."

I think a more subtle approach would be better and allow for more content. For example, in these two examples (feel free to do whatever you want with them), the other guy is characterized by what he lacks. As the ad goes on it becomes obvious he's the competition (it probably is obvious immediately, but it's just more subtle). The ads end with his cry of angst and longing to be back in Windows, where he really belongs.

"Hello, I'm Accordance."

"And I'm Confused."

"What do you mean you're confused?

"Well, I used to run on Windows, but somehow I'm running on a Mac now. It's all so strange and unfamiliar."

"You mean you weren't designed to run on a Mac?"

"No, of course not! Who designs software for the Mac? I'm really supposed to be on Windows."

"That's funny, because I was designed for the Mac from day 1. I feel right at home on Mac OS X."

"Really? Someone actually designed Bible software just for the Mac?"

"From the ground up."

"Why did I even come over here? Windows is where I belong!"

[Cut to white -> Accordance Bible Software: Complete the Switch]

"Hello, I'm Accordance."

"And I'm looking for my printer. Have you seen it?"

"What do you mean you're looking for your printer?"

"Well, I'm Bible software originally designed for Windows, and now that I'm on a Mac, I have no idea where anything is anymore."

"Your printer is right there, attached to your Mac. Your Mac is even sharing it. Watch, I'll print to it." [something prints to a printer next to the other guy.]

"How did you do that? WHY CAN'T I PRINT!?!? I should be running in Windows!!"

[Cut to white -> Accordance Bible Software, Complete the Switch."

We have in fact been considering this idea for years, and more so recently in regards to the Complete the Switch. One problem is that so much of our resources are devoted to improving Accordance and adding to the modules that we have little left for marketing.

We even thought of inviting script ideas on the forum, with perhaps a reward for those that get used.

We have not come up with a better opening line than the very awkward one you propose:

"Hello I'm Accordance" and "and I'm a PC Bible Software program ported to Mac"

So, anyone have ideas for an opening line or a script, or any volunteers to produce one for us?

Actually, I think the awkwardness is funny in itself. But I'd specifically say, "I'm a Windows Bible software program ported to the Mac."

Or what about "I'm a Mac with Accordance."

and "I'm a Mac with ported Windows Bible software" [said rather sheepishly].

Quick note: I found the Make the Switch forum and sorry I didn't post this there. I didn't see it until after I posted this.-UPDATE: I did, why did I think I didn't? Been reading too many computer design books, so I've been exhausted.

I really like all of the suggestions! One thing that would be great is if we could setup a YouTube group or something where customers could make the videos, then we could get this rich variety involved, plus Accordance doesn't have to spend the time nor resources producing the videos. We can all chime in.

I think a more subtle approach would be better and allow for more content. For example, in these two examples (feel free to do whatever you want with them), the other guy is characterized by what he lacks. As the ad goes on it becomes obvious he's the competition (it probably is obvious immediately, but it's just more subtle). The ads end with his cry of angst and longing to be back in Windows, where he really belongs.

"Hello, I'm Accordance."

"And I'm Confused."

"What do you mean you're confused?

"Well, I used to run on Windows, but somehow I'm running on a Mac now. It's all so strange and unfamiliar."

"You mean you weren't designed to run on a Mac?"

"No, of course not! Who designs software for the Mac? I'm really supposed to be on Windows."

"That's funny, because I was designed for the Mac from day 1. I feel right at home on Mac OS X."

"Really? Someone actually designed Bible software just for the Mac?"

"From the ground up."

"Why did I even come over here? Windows is where I belong!"

[Cut to white -> Accordance Bible Software: Complete the Switch]

"Hello, I'm Accordance."

"And I'm looking for my printer. Have you seen it?"

"What do you mean you're looking for your printer?"

"Well, I'm Bible software originally designed for Windows, and now that I'm on a Mac, I have no idea where anything is anymore."

"Your printer is right there, attached to your Mac. Your Mac is even sharing it. Watch, I'll print to it." [something prints to a printer next to the other guy.]

"How did you do that? WHY CAN'T I PRINT!?!? I should be running in Windows!!"

[Cut to white -> Accordance Bible Software, Complete the Switch."

I like these scripts. They sound really amusing!

Actually, I think the awkwardness is funny in itself. But I'd specifically say, "I'm a Windows Bible software program ported to the Mac."

Or what about "I'm a Mac with Accordance."

and "I'm a Mac with ported Windows Bible software" [said rather sheepishly].

Yeah, Windows sounds better. I like your "two Macs" idea too.

And yes, I was trying to sound awkward to really depict things. :D I'm trying to make the other person seem as geeky, awkward, and downright "Windowsy" as possible.

Why not have them both start out stating that they are Macs?

Hi we're Macs.

I'm running Accordance Bible Study Software.

I'm running that "other" Christian software.

"Other?"

You know, <whispers>It was designed for a PC.</whispers>

<whispers>Ohhhhh. I'm sorry, that must be terribly embarrassing...</whispers>

Yeah, but look at this library of titles!

Impressive! Do you use all those?

<sheepishly>Not really.</sheepishly>

What if you just want to study the Bible?

Oh, well it CAN be done, but I wouldn't say it's easy.

Really? Accordance is all about Bible study. (Accordance plug here)

<mumbling>I wish I would have completed the switch...</mumbling>

Why not have them both start out stating that they are Macs?

Hi we're Macs.

I'm running Accordance Bible Study Software.

I'm running that "other" Christian software.

"Other?"

You know, <whispers>It was designed for a PC.</whispers>

<whispers>Ohhhhh. I'm sorry, that must be terribly embarrassing...</whispers>

Yeah, but look at this library of titles!

Impressive! Do you use all those?

<sheepishly>Not really.</sheepishly>

What if you just want to study the Bible?

Oh, well it CAN be done, but I wouldn't say it's easy.

Really? Accordance is all about Bible study. (Accordance plug here)

<mumbling>I wish I would have completed the switch...</mumbling>

I like that too. Very catchy.

I've got it. How does this sound?

"Hello. I'm Accordy, and I'm Porty."

Accordy is of course, Accordance, and Porty if of course, Ported Windows Bible Software. These could be called the "Accordy and Porty" videos.

I've got it. How does this sound?

"Hello. I'm Accordy, and I'm Porty."

Accordy is of course, Accordance, and Porty if of course, Ported Windows Bible Software. These could be called the "Accordy and Porty" videos.

Reminds me a bit of Clippy.

• 2 weeks later...
Reminds me a bit of Clippy.

You mean the Microsoft Office paperclip?

• 8 months later...

I like that too. Very catchy.

I like all of the ideas. I also agree with Helen that it is probably a bit unseemly for Accordance to DIRECTLY mention Logos for Mac. After all, our product is Bible study. Anyway, all the ideas sound greatly great. Here is my story -- as a non-scholar. When I bought my first Mac about 10 years ago, I was a little concerned because I have always had Bible software even back when I had Windows 3.1. So, I was worried that even if there was Bible software for the Mac -- it probably wouldn't be as good as Logos for Windows 3.1 TODAY: if I ever went back to a PC: my main concern would be: I can't take Accordance with me back to Windows! Jonna

• 3 months later...

As a new Accordance user, I too have a switching experience. First off, I am not a "MacHead." As in, whatever Apple does is just terrific. I use Windows too, and all day at work without complaint. My household has several WinPCs, and so on. I own a nice iMac which I purchased in March of this year to replace my 2003 eMac. I switched to Mac from an old Gateway PC with the thought of a more maintainable system at the time, and loved my eMac. I do love my Mac. I can't see the point in setting up enemy camps though.

Back to the topic! I purchased the Nelson Electronic Bible Reference Library about 1996, and loved it. I added many Logos books. But of course when I bought the eMac, that left that behind. I was good with that because Logos was "developing a Mac program." I did however, lurk around the Accordance site many a time, but had all those books in that other format and didn't feel like spending more. Well, seven years later when I bought my Mac this year I was tired of waiting. The program is still a beta for heaven's sake! AND of course Accordance is such a smooth program. So I went into Accordance only about two weeks ago. Now of course I have bought up more resources, and have been spending every night listening to the podcasts and the training videos, and printing various sections of the old manual. What a nice program it is. The main problem is UN-learning the Logos functionality and learning the different functionality - a fun project by the way. I love Accordance and have already developed a User Tool for Genesis study (I am only a lay person without any pastoral or teaching needs, but a bent toward the academic). I love those podcasts.

I do not know of any software program, Bible or not, with the same level of training and support. GraphicConverter has good support but nowhere near the training. Dr. J. is a pleasure to listen to, and even my family has stopped by to look over my shoulder, and they pretty much think my geekness is amusing at best.

One of the major selling points for Accordance is your website. It is not only functional, it is attractive, well designed and very very sophisticated - the first look is a better impression than all that other Bible software combined. Thus all those years I lurked around on Accordance paid off eventually.

Thank you for a terrific program and what I think is an excellent pricing and upgrade system.

Michele:)

Archived