Quick Formatting Changes

Helen Brown

Accordance has offered a wealth of different formatting options since version 1.0 was released nearly a decade ago, but we recently discovered that many new users weren't finding those capabilities. They would say things like, "What if I just want the text of the Bible without references?" or "Is there any way to view the text as continuous paragraphs rather than having each verse on a separate line?" Naturally you could do both of those things, but people just weren't finding the Set Text Display dialog box, and even if they knew about it, it wasn't always convenient. So with version 6, we made it possible to make the most common formatting changes on the fly.

If you go to the Display menu while a Bible text pane is active, you'll see two new menu items. The "Show Text as" submenu lets you choose whether you want the text to be displayed as separate verses or continuous paragraphs (or References only), and the "Hide Verse References" item lets you remove the verse references so that you just see the actual text.

These two new items can save you a lot of time as you need to make quick formatting changes for purposes of reading or copying and pasting the text.

David Lang

• 1 month later...

How can I change all my English Bible texts to display in a certain format and style (ie the reference at the beginning in a certain font, size, colour and style) and the verse following (in another font, size, colour and style).

I've found how I can do this for one text at a time, but this is tedious.

Go to Preferences -> Text Display, and you'll be all set. Whatever you change there will be applied to ALL Bible texts.

Alistair,

When you change the text settings in the Preferences dialog, Accordance does not change the appearance of any windows/panes which are already open. It simply changes the default settings for each text. Any new window or pane you open should display the settings you chose, but texts which are already opened need to be refreshed to see the change. The easiest way to do this is to choose another text in one of the text display pop-up menus, and then switch back to the text you had previously. When you reopen that text, it should display according to the settings you chose.

The only other possible explanation I can think of is that you might have inadvertently hit the Cancel button of the Preferences dialog box instead of the OK button.

Hope this helps.

Hi David,

I think I got it sussed by closing all windows/workspaces/whatever then editing the preferences, as you would make global changes to the prefs. in QuarkXpress.

That did it.

• 4 months later...
If you go to the Display menu while a Bible text pane is active, you'll see two new menu items. The "Show Text as" submenu lets you choose whether you want the text to be displayed as separate verses or continuous paragraphs (or References only), and the "Hide Verse References" item lets you remove the verse references so that you just see the actual text.

These two new items can save you a lot of time as you need to make quick formatting changes for purposes of reading or copying and pasting the text.

David Lang

I wish there were keystrokes assigned to these two items: "Hide Verse References" and "Show Text as Paragraph" -- better yet, one keystroke to do both of those at once.

Archived