Typing "shin" and "sin" in Search Pane

miqraot

I set my Accordance Hebrew Opition to ISRAELI KEYBOARD LAYOUT.

In the layout, it is possible to type שׁ "shin" with SHIFT+A.

But, I don't know how to type "sin."

Therefore, I can search שמ"ע easily, but for searching (עש"י (עשה I have to open Lexical Forms pane.

How can I type "sin" easily with Israeli keyboard layout?

Dear Miqraot,

It would amaze me if I (very new to all this kind of thing!) could actually help another user, but..... Try option ? and it should produce ??.

Hope this helps! Shalom,

Kevin. (Kevin Soars)

Dear Miqraot,

I dont' know whether you will receive a correction to my reply to you. But just in case, try option shin. Hope this helps.

Shalom,

Kevin (Soars)

(Quotes removed)

Edited by Helen Brown

I can verify Kevin's suggestion--with Israeli layout, option-a displays sin.

Thanks alot. It works.

But it is little unconvenient to type it. My finger has to be twisted!!! :P

Edited by Helen Brown

• 8 years later...

Hello. Sorry for reviving this really old thread, but I'm having the same problem, so I figured I'd better reply here instead of starting a new topic.

The solution given here is to use option+a, but this obviously applies to the Mac versions, while I'm using Accordance on Windows. I tried various combinations, and couldn't find the Windows substitute for the option key. Or any other way for typing שׂ on Accordance.

If anybody knows how to do that on Windows, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

I don't know the Windows shortcut, but as a workaround, go to the Windows menu and select Characters. A pop-up should appear. Chose Yehudit as the font, and click on the שׂ.

On the mac version, there's a preference called Characters (either from the toolbar or from the Window menu, which might be different in the windows version).

From there, if you select Yehudit and hover the mouse over the characters, you'll see that the letters for typing the characters are displayed next to the the transliterated name at the bottom of that little window.

At the top of the screenshot, you'll see the icon for the Characters window next to the Search All field on my toolbar. You can add that feature (on the Mac, probably in Windows too) by right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting customise.

When I performed the screenshot, by the way, my cursor was hovering over the character transliterated as "seen" and it indicates using the letter "c".

post-29901-0-84543300-1383411944_thumb.png

Edited by Chuck Schneider

Thanks, but the letter shown there actually applies to the Accordance keyboard layout, and not to the Israeli layout. Meaning that when I type "c", I actually get the Hebrew letter ב, and not שׂ. So it seems that the only way I can type שׂ using the C key is by changing the keyboard layout I use in the options every time I want to do that. Which is obviously not practical.

Oops, I see that I misunderstood the question. :(

OK, a little clarification.

First, in Accordance you do NOT want to set the Hebrew entry or keyboard in Windows, you must leave it on English.

You can select the Israeli keyboard in Accordance Preferences: Greek & Hebrew, and this conforms more or less to the Mac Hebrew unicode keyboard. On the Mac you get:

• unpointed sin.shin at a
  • shin at shift-a (A)
  • sin at option-m

Now the option-m does not exist on Windows, and alt-m and control-m crash Accordance, as do other unsupported key commands.

I could not figure out how to get the sin in Word on Windows. You might try that and let us know, and perhaps we need to check that the full Windows Hebrew keyboard is implemented.

For now, copying from the text, or using the Character palette should get you sin, although the unpointed character will find both.

• 6 years later...

Reopening this thread. Is there a key combination now for typing Sin in the search pane in Windows 10? The workaround with the character map is, well, not more than a workaround.

I'd also love to see a solution for that. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+4 to open the characters pane every time I want to type שׂ is really irritating.

Resurrecting 15 year old threads is a bit dangerous - much of the information may not be relevant.

On Windows, as you note, the Alt key is not exactly congruous to the Option key.  However, there are lots of options for typing a sin.  Many of them involve the AltGr key, which would map to the right alt key on your keyboard, even if it still says 'Alt'.

1) If you use the Windows Hebrew keyboard, then 'a' types an unpointed shin (ש), AltGr-'q' can add a sin-dot (שׂ), and AltGr-'w' would add a shin-dot (שׁ).  These key commands work in any unicode app, by the way.

2) If you stick to an English keyboard, then you can add an International version of the keyboard, which replaces the Right-Alt with AltGr.  Then, in Accordance, with Israeli Keyboard on, AltGr-A would produce a sin (שׂ), like the above mentioned Option-A on mac.

3) If you get used to our Yehudit keyboard mapping, then sin is just 'c' (shin is 'v').

Thanks for the reply. Switching the keyboard to Hebrew (in my case the Biblical Hebrew Tiro keyboard) does indeed allow me type a Sin with AltGr+a. I still find it odd that the search pane allows the user to type all the Hebrew characters when the English keyboard is selected except for one character. In my opinion there is still some work to do here for the developers.

• Like 1

It's good to know. The first solution works for me.

I remember when I started using Accordance that Sin was represented by a character involving both the letter and the diacritic point (U+FB2B = שׂ), as opposed to using two separate characters for the letter and the point (ש + U+05C2 = ׂ). The program then ignored attempts for typing the two characters, and the search only worked if you used the special character with the point. Apparently this was fixed some time.

• Like 1

Note: the problem of typing a שֹ in windows has existed for a very long time. Can this please get fixed?

• 1 month later...

This is bizarre. I just found out by chance that setting the keyboard layout in Windows to GER allows me to type the letter Sin with the combination Alt+a; Shin is Shift+a.

Nothing bizarre about it. The German keyboard, like the English International keyboard that I mentioned above as option (3), has the Alt-GR key you need. The letter and is still in the same spot on the keyboard as well, so you would get the same results.