Quartz text rendering in Accordance

Helen Brown

We do get complaints that in spite of all the interface enhancements in 6, the text itself is not rendered using OS X's Quartz technology. This is why text in Accordance may not look as nice as it does in other OS X programs. We are currently working on Quartz implementation and plan to release it later this year.

The good news is that you don't have to wait for us to get around to supporting Quartz if you really want it now. Unsanity software produces a little utility called Silk (as in, "smooth as") which will enable Quartz font smoothing for Applications which do not currently support it (such as Accordance and AppleWorks). Silk costs ten dollars, but for me it was well worth it. I've been using Silk for months now on an old G3 PowerBook with Panther, and haven't had any problems or incompatibilities. I'd strongly recommend it. You can get it at

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/silk.

David Lang

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent tip. Font is definitely easier on the eyes with Silk.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, Silk 2.1 (adds Tiger compatibility and bug fixes) was just released today (June 21, 2005): http://unsanity.com/haxies/silk/

The question is whether it is compatible with the Quartz in Accordance 6.6.

I'm still running Silk because AppleWorks does not use Quartz font smoothing (and never will, since Apple has abandoned it for Pages), and I've had no problems with Accordance 6.6.

Just to be on the safe side though, you can specify in the Silk Preference Pane that you don't want Silk to do anything to Accordance. Simply add Accordance to the list of applications, and uncheck the "Quartz Options Enabled" checkbox. I would recommend all users of Silk and Accordance 6.6 do this.

• 2 months later...

I'm running Accordance V6.5 with Silk. I need some assistance setting up Silk with Accordance.

I acitvated Silk, then added Accordance to the list of applications in Silk's preference tab.

What else to I need to setup to use Silk with Accordance? :unsure:

The Global tab has the Quartz Options Enabled, checked.

Below this items 1 2 and 4 are checked, 3 and 5 are not checked.

On Silk's Font Settings substitute tab the default setting is off.

• 10 months later...

Can anyone tell me if Quartz font smoothing is implemented in Accordance 7.0? Or do I still need SILK?

Thanks,

--Lee

Can anyone tell me if Quartz font smoothing is implemented in Accordance 7.0? Or do I still need SILK?

Thanks,

--Lee

Quartz rendering was implemented back in version 6.7 (if memory serves correctly). And yes, it functions in version 7, not just with text but with graphics as well. The maps and overlays look beautiful in the Atlas module. Quartz smoothing is on by default, but if you so desire, it can be turned of in the Preferences > Appearance dialog box. Because Silk could conflict with the technology built into Accordance, I'd recommend disabling Silk's functionality by excluding Accordance in the Application Enhancer Exclude list in the System Preferences panel.

Ron

Archived