Internet Greek Class with Skype and Accordance

Donald  Potter

I have been teaching a Greek class to students at the Instituto Latina Americano de Estudios B

• 4 months later...

This idea intrigues me. I'm a lay person who loves the Bible (and the God of the Bible). I've been interested in Greek but have no training in it at all. Recently I've discovered and read Bill Mounce's Greek for the Rest of Us which provides just enough understanding of the Greek language and structure to understand the complexities of translation and use better tools for understanding the Greek behind the English translations.

It's fascinating to me but it's also whet my appetite to know more. I'm trying to work my way through Steven's Greek which I have on Accordance at the moment. It's a little tough going on my own, I'm sure I have all the pronunciations wrong !!

I wonder if you or anyone have tips or suggestions to better use Accordance to help me learn Greek. I don't have the opportunity to attend a full Greek course, my objective is simply to deepen my understanding of the Word.

Wei

This idea intrigues me. I'm a lay person who loves the Bible (and the God of the Bible). I've been interested in Greek but have no training in it at all. Recently I've discovered and read Bill Mounce's Greek for the Rest of Us which provides just enough understanding of the Greek language and structure to understand the complexities of translation and use better tools for understanding the Greek behind the English translations.

It's fascinating to me but it's also whet my appetite to know more. I'm trying to work my way through Steven's Greek which I have on Accordance at the moment. It's a little tough going on my own, I'm sure I have all the pronunciations wrong !!

I wonder if you or anyone have tips or suggestions to better use Accordance to help me learn Greek. I don't have the opportunity to attend a full Greek course, my objective is simply to deepen my understanding of the Word.

Wei

Mounce's web site is aimed at just that. There are a lot of tutorials, videos, and other resources available (some for purchase). His grammar is academic enough to please the geeks, yet aimed at allowing the non-academic to still find use in it. One example is that he assumes most students don't have a solid background in English grammar, so takes more time to explain grammatical items. We have the 2nd ed. of his grammar on the Zondervan CDs, and I imagine we will eventually get the 3d. ed as well. Even if you continue to use Stevens' grammar, you could still benefit from Mounce's site. Also, check out Deinde.org for some helps as well.

Edited by RickBennett

Wei,

I'd like to give you a suggestion. I learned the Greek through material developed through Dr. Norman Sellers. I learned it so well that I was able to pass a placement exam for first year Greek at a Seminary and go directly into 2nd year Greek. Fact is that same seminary has had the same experience with all of Dr. Sellers students. Another point I've come across with many seminarians if not most is they do not use the Greek they learned in seminary mainly because they did not learn it well enough to use it comfortably. To me, this is a real loss to the Body of Christ.

He trains the student to diagram from the first Greek sentence they learn. From that point on the student learns easily how all the pieces fit together.

The course in on DVD, affordable, and frankly the best way to teach Greek (this is from one who has taught math for 25 years and his Greek course a number of times).

He has a correspondance college called National Bible College (http://www.nbcbible.org/). Hope you consider my suggestion.

Peace,

Jim Poulos

Edited by Jim Poulos

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions. I will certainly check out the suggested websites and see which way to go.

Love this forum :)

• 1 year later...

Mounce's web site is aimed at just that. There are a lot of tutorials, videos, and other resources available (some for purchase). His grammar is academic enough to please the geeks, yet aimed at allowing the non-academic to still find use in it. One example is that he assumes most students don't have a solid background in English grammar, so takes more time to explain grammatical items. We have the 2nd ed. of his grammar on the Zondervan CDs, and I imagine we will eventually get the 3d. ed as well. Even if you continue to use Stevens' grammar, you could still benefit from Mounce's site. Also, check out Deinde.org for some helps as well.

Rick,

Thanks for the links..I just ordered the basic Greek study from Mounce...I have a "very beginning" understanding of Hebrew ....but nothing on Greek...I do not memorize very well (I am older) and I am a visual learner...I purchased Accordance (and a used MAC since it did not work as well on my PC) and the syntax diagrams and several lexicons...I am in "a little over my head"...but I really enjoy trying to get at what the "original languages" were saying and not on what the translator choose....the syntax module does help alot even for a beginner like me...I also like "the parsing" of languages...I so appreciate it when "experienced" users and "experts" (like Dr. J and his podcasts) share with me at my "newbie" level.....

Thanks Again

Frank

• 6 months later...

Hey, Don! It was great to hear that one of my old seminary buddies (from SSOP days) finally succumbed to the temptation of Macintosh and Accordance. You will be eternally glad you made the switch to Accordance. It is lightyears ahead of everything else, especially in the Greek field. Was glad to see your post here.