Bible Background Sale

Tom

Any body see anything in the lastest sale that would make you say to another accordance user: "Wow, I wish I would have bought that when it was on sale?"

In other words: any one item you would suggest is a really good deal?

Thanks,

Tom

If you're like me, Context of Scripture is very tempting. I don't think you'll see a better price for at least a year or two. But if you're also like me, you're just not sure if the resource is really something that will actually be put to use at a frequency that justifies the spend (no matter how amazingly super-duper-fantastico the price may be!)

Hence my plea goes out (again) to Dr. J for a podcast that shows off these resources in time for us to help make a decision!

The good news is that he's already shown off BAR and its sister resource in previous podcasts which led me to purchase BAR a few weeks back (doh!) You might want to check out some of the previous podcasts again.

Don't forget the commentary sets coming in the next few months as well: Tyndale OT and NT, Holman NT and OT... good stuff too! Liddell-Scott is a must have (never should have sold my printed copy from college!)

Good luck!

Any body see anything in the lastest sale that would make you say to another accordance user: "Wow, I wish I would have bought that when it was on sale?"

In other words: any one item you would suggest is a really good deal?

Thanks,

Tom

I guess the question is, what are your needs? Are you a student? pastor? sunday school teacher? Do you do more work in the OT or in the NT or an even mix of both?

If you do more work in the OT, I would definitely advise Context of Scripture. You can search by title, content, footnotes, transliteration, scripture, and others. One thing that is helpful are the verse references connected to various parts of texts. When you are doing work on a passage you can search for that passage in COS to see if there are ANE texts that might shed light on it. Beyond that, you can read texts from various genres to better understand how those genres work in the ancient world.

On the other hand if you do more work in the NT, the Church Fathers and Church History would be a very good buy. I don't have this one (yet?), so I can't talk much about it.

Hope that helps.

If you're like me, Context of Scripture is very tempting. I don't think you'll see a better price for at least a year or two. But if you're also like me, you're just not sure if the resource is really something that will actually be put to use at a frequency that justifies the spend (no matter how amazingly super-duper-fantastico the price may be!)

Hence my plea goes out (again) to Dr. J for a podcast that shows off these resources in time for us to help make a decision!

AGREED!

Sorry, there is no way Dr. J can whip out a podcast on COS this month. We're keeping him too busy on other projects.

Archived