Solution for Bibliographic Footnotes in Pages

Joe Weaks

I am making publicly available a script which offers a solution for using Accordance's new bibliographic footnote reference feature in Pages. As many of you have discovered, Pages does not properly handle footnotes in rich-text encoding on the clipboard. This script provides a solution, and even more automation to enhance your workflow.

You can find out details about the Accordance to Pages Citation Paster at The Macintosh Biblioblog.

I just wanted to say a HUGE "thank you" to Joe, yet again, for coming up with a very useful tool for those of us who only work in Mellel part of the time :blink:

Thanks for your help on this one!

Mike

I have posted an update to the Accordance to Pages Citation Paster.

More info here.

• 3 months later...

Joe, I've been using Pages more often over the past few weeks (or at least trying to), and I just got around to installing your script for footnoting Accordance.

First, let me say that this works great, and I really appreciate your making this available as well as the work you put in on it.

Second, although launching the script from the script menu is not a big deal, do you know of anyway in Pages itself to insert the command? I don't see of any way to do this in the current version, but my hope is that Pages will open up a bit more to allow this kind of thing in future versions.

No, Pages has no menu customization or script/macro integration. This is why I rarely use it. It has an inferior set of features for the power user.

Running scripts from the Script Menu is lame indeed. In the ReadMe, that is why I suggest Quicksilver, Butler, Launchbar and the like.

But, if you're running Snow Leopard, I have repackaged the Accordance to Pages Citation Paster to include a Service workflow. With that option, you can assign a global keyboard shortcut to launch it. Just go to the Downloads page of The Macintosh Biblioblog to get the new version.

Yes, I agree that Pages isn't there yet, but I hold out hope. A word processor is very much core to what I need on a computer and I confess that nothing on the Mac fully satisfies me (and I've probably tried everything).

After the initial iPad announcement, I've become more and more interested in it although I wasn't personally interested initially. But Keynote may be the killer app for me in the end since I use it for teaching. If I could lighten my load a few times a week and carry an iPad instead of my 15" MBP, I'd be more than glad to do so. But that means a need for a word processor and I don't imagine that anything will be as complete as Pages for the iPad for at least the first year (since Apple's had access to the platform longer than anyone else). And if Pages is my go to word processor on the iPad, I imagine it would be easiest for it to be so on my MBP, too. So, we'll see.

Rick,

It was unclear if you realized I had posted a solution for you to use a global keyboard shortcut in lieu of the Scripts menu.

As for iWork on the iPad, I'll be interested to have lots of detail questions answered in time.

Rick,

It was unclear if you realized I had posted a solution for you to use a global keyboard shortcut in lieu of the Scripts menu.

As for iWork on the iPad, I'll be interested to have lots of detail questions answered in time.

Sorry--yes, Joe, that was clear.

Archived