Minor Scrolling Request

R. Mansfield

When in a tool like the ABD, I can scroll the article pane, but I can't scroll the browswer pane on the left. That would be a really nifty ability to scroll whichever pane my mouse is over.

Just to clarify, are you talking about using the scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll through these two panes?

Just to clarify, are you talking about using the scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll through these two panes?

Yes, the mouse. Actually, I primarily use Accordance on my PowerBook, and the newer models let you scroll with your trackpad by using two fingers, which is what I was actually doing. To test this with a regular mouse, I just plugged in a Microsoft optical mouse and the same limitation exists. I can use the scroll wheel on the pane on the right that contains the articles, but when I move the mouse over the pane on the left (browser) and try to scroll, it is only the article pane that moves.

The ability to scroll through the list of articles in the browser, especially in a work like the ABD with LOTS of articles, would be very helpful.

• 9 months later...
The ability to scroll through the list of articles in the browser, especially in a work like the ABD with LOTS of articles, would be very helpful.

I'll second this request, for the same reasons. :)

I am not sure how easy it would be to implement since the appropriate title in the browser is highlighted even when one scrolls or selects the main pane. How would you indicate that you now want to scroll the browser with the mouse wheel, rather than the main pane, since you can have simultaneous selections in both panes? I believe that this is the reason why scroll wheel scrolling in the browser has not been done until now.

How would you indicate that you now want to scroll the browser with the mouse wheel, rather than the main pane, since you can have simultaneous selections in both panes?

In other applications, the scroll wheel (or trackpad 2-finger drag) affects the pane immediately below the cursor, regardless of where any selections may or may not lie. (At least, that's been my impression.)

:)

David

Yes, for example, even a form like on this forum. If I were to become very longwinded and continue writing for multiple paragraphs, I could scroll over this window that I'm writing in, and it would move up or down. But if I move the mouse outside the form window, the whole webpage moves. This seems to be pretty standard practice in most applications.

Archived