error message after 8.4.2 update

Zerihun

I got this report after installing 8.4.2: "An attempt to read or save data beyond the end of file "General" has failed."

This is the third such report. Can you try replacing the General file in user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences with a backup, or the one in Accordance folder/Accordance Preferences.

Or you are welcome to contact me directly to try to troubleshoot this.

Hello Helen,

I had the same problem on my 1.67 MHz PowerBook G4 (see attached screenshot). I dragged the general file out of the user/preferences/accordance preferences folder and that allowed Accordance to launch. However, I had to re-register and lost all of my preference settings.

Best regards,

Ron

Please send me a copy of the bad General file before you trash or replace it, and let me know which version of Accordance you updated from.

It seems that to correct the problem you must remove both General preferences. I will be happy to be sent copies of both these files, so that we can track down the problem. Then you can start over with a new General preferences and recreate just the settings that are stored there.

Please send me a copy of the bad General file before you trash or replace it, and let me know which version of Accordance you updated from.

I also am getting this error. I upgraded from 8.3.2 -> 8.4.2. No issues on 8.3.2. This is a quad g5 running 10.5.8.

It seems that to correct the problem you must remove both General preferences. I will be happy to be sent copies of both these files, so that we can track down the problem. Then you can start over with a new General preferences and recreate just the settings that are stored there.

How would I send you my General file? Via email? I'm not sure the forum is a good place to attach it being it has registration info in it. I have the file just fine.. just need to know where to send. Also, how can I downgrade to 8.3.2 in the mean time? The 8.3.2 installer will not downgrade.

I do not recommend that you downgrade. You can send me an email from the forum, but perhaps you cannot attach a file. So, please send it to support (at) accordancebible (dot) com. We need as many of these files as possible, please, as so far we cannot track down the bug.

If you remove both General files (from both Accordance Preferences) you will be able to run 8.4.2, based on the experience of several users.

Has anyone tried restoring the file from a separate backup or Time Machine?

Restoring the General file has not changed/fixed anything. Same error.

Thanks for sending your copy. We are still not reproducing the error, but please try deleting both copies of the file on the hard drive.

I do not recommend that you downgrade. You can send me an email from the forum, but perhaps you cannot attach a file. So, please send it to support (at) accordancebible (dot) com. We need as many of these files as possible, please, as so far we cannot track down the bug.

If you remove both General files (from both Accordance Preferences) you will be able to run 8.4.2, based on the experience of several users.

Will be emailing copies of these files in a few minutes. Of note may be the fact that the update did NOT cause a problem on my Intel iMac but DID cause this same error on my old eMac G4 (home backup machine).

I agree that the problem seems to be confined to 10.4. Can anyone report anything different?

I agree that the problem seems to be confined to 10.4. Can anyone report anything different?

10.5.8 on my eMac that shows the error but 10.6 on the Intel iMac without the problem.

Also, no success in restoring a copy of the "General" file. All attempts short of letting it recreate the file result in the same failure.

Did note that recreating the file in User/lib results in a changed CREATION date (not the modified date) of the copy in the Applications/Accordance/ folder. <This allows the program to open and run but still gives the error message when it first opens.>

Strange things are being written to incorrect places!

I get this error on Mac OS X 10.5.8 (PPC G5) so it is not confined to 10.4.

Is everyone with the bug on a PowerPc rather than Intel Mac? It seems to be that rather than the OS.

Is everyone with the bug on a PowerPc rather than Intel Mac? It seems to be that rather than the OS.

I am a powerPC!

I had the message when I first updated. Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a G4 iBook.

8.4.3 fixed this issue. Thanks!

8.4.3 kept saying me, my user name and password is invalid to install this update!

The 8.4.3 compile is running well. It has fixed the previous issues with the general preferences file and the map data file.

Thanks.

Ron

8.4.3 kept saying me, my user name and password is invalid to install this update!

Installed the update, I will see how it goes. Hum, why i have to find and locate all files from my document folder? and why it ask me when I try to close my workspace to save it or not?

You will have to reset some preferences, like disabling the save warning. It should not need to relocate any files, perhaps you have an unusual arrangement?If the old General file is in the trash you can recover and restore it, as it will work with 8.4.3.

Sorry for all the hassles.

Remember that there is a conflict between Spellcatcher and the installers. You may need to remove Spellcatcher if you have it, before you can run the installer.

This is odd, I've been using Spell Catcher since its existence and this is the first time there is a conflict with the installer. I

Thank you for the 8.4.3 update so quickly. 8.4.2 caused problems described by others on my Powerbook G4 with Mac OS 10.5.8. The 8.4.3 update brought Accordance back up and running pretty normal. The one thing I still notice is that in the About Accordance splash screen it now says that this version (8.4.3) is registered to "c

Archived