Searching for Characters

Chris Echols

Does anyone know how I could search for a word inside brackets. For instance, I have a translation with words inserted for clarity enclosed in [brackets], but Accordance thinks I'm trying to enter a command.

If you are trying to only search for words inside the brackets, look under the 'Search within every _____' popup menu, under More options. At the bottom of the menu is "Search Words Inside Brackets". You'll see a little [] icon signifying that you toggled to only look for those words.

• 11 years later...

I have this same question, but I unfortunately don't understand Joel's answer. (Or perhaps the interface has changed in this respect, in the meantime.) How do I access the 'Search within every _____' popup menu?

Hello David, 

I believe the interface has changed since then. 

To the right of the search bar, there will be a + icon. Click on it to reveal the search conditions. Click on “Range” to select  “Bracketed Words” and then click on “Included” and select “Exclusive”. 

Alternatively, if you need only find where all the brackets occur in a given text, enter the following into the search bar: .[

The period tells Accordance to search for any symbol or character.

Hello, sorry I'm not according to the thread, but how can I embed twitter here? Found a nice tweet I would love to share here 

To Iconoclaste, thank you for the suggestions.

Regarding the "Bracketed Words" options, I found that those selections were effective when searching for a particular term.

As for finding all the brackets in a given range of text, it didn't actually work to search for period+opening-bracket. That defaulted to the LINK command. However, it did work when I searched for period+closing-bracket.

Problem solved!

Here's the way I would look for all bracketed words.

Use asterisk to look for all words

Add the extra search parameter, choose bracketed words, choose Exclusive:

acc.bracket.png.ea730fb37bead36bc9215675836e37c2.png