Tyndale Commentary Series

Timothy Jenney

Hello, everyone!

The very latest podcast is up, this time on the newly-released Tyndale Commentary Series. Some podcasts are more difficult than others, none so much as the ones where the focus is on content. It's relatively easy to demonstrate a command or show off a new feature, but we've struggled with how to present the content of new modules.

Anyway, we tried a different approach this week. You'll notice we compare three different pages of content in Tyndale, EBC and EBC Notes. If you pause the podcast, you'll see that the text is large enough you can read it for yourself. We're hoping this will give you a good "feel" for the style of each of these commentaries. If it works, this may be the answer to those short 3-5 minute module reviews some of you have been requesting.

We're looking for feedback. Let us know if you like the style of this 'cast for modules. If you don't, can you suggest something that will work better? Either way, we'd like to hear from you this week.

Thanks! :D

We're looking for feedback. Let us know if you like the style of this 'cast for modules. If you don't, can you suggest something that will work better? Either way, we'd like to hear from you this week.

Dear Dr J,

I'll add my thanks for the podcasts you've been releasing. I find myself looking forward to each new one.

This podcast worked very well for me because of the introduction - the different categories of commentaries, and where the Tyndale series falls in at.

Comparing with the EBC was a very good idea because I do agree that most people would have it making it the ideal benchmark.

If I may simply offer my feedback, I would have liked a little more of the implications of the differences. Like if either commentary did not elaborate a particular point, whom might it affect the most, what would be lost (if anything) in exegesis. I don't know if this is realistic or not as it may border more on issues of interpretation than presenting the facts, but these are simply some of the questions in my mind as I watched the podcast.

The other thing that might be helpful is a very quick comparison with a 3rd commentary series. Not necessarily on all 3 examples, just one is sufficient to make the point. Perhaps a more technical one to really emphasize the difference in detail and comprehensiveness, and indeed the value of the "beginner" commentaries to raise salient issues as a springboard for deeper study.

Again, many thanks.

Wei

Dr. J,

Your latest podcast, like the others, was extremely well done. I did like the format that helps one make an informed choice of various modules. Along that line, I recently upgraded to the Premier level of both the Scholars and Library packages. I would suggest 1 or 2 podcasts to highlight the contents of each level of the packages. This would not only be an incentive for one to upgrade but allow who have already made purchases of those levels to understand what they have. You are one of the best marketing tools for the company. Your podcasts makes one want to purchase the modules highlighted.

Keep up the good work!

Tony Lawrence

Thank you both for the feedback. It really helps us tweak these podcasts for our viewers' needs. We have [long-range] plans of offering quick 3 minute sketches of many of our modules, so users can make more informed purchasing decisions. This podcast was an experiment in that direction.

BTW, thanks to several sharp-eyed viewers who caught the publication date error in the podcast. While the Expositor's Bible Commentary has been around a long time, it certainly was not available for Accordance in 1990 [which was prior to the release of Accordance 1.0!]. To the best of our recollection, we have had it since 1998 or so. I apologize for the error

You'll notice we compare three different pages of content in Tyndale, EBC and EBC Notes. If you pause the podcast, you'll see that the text is large enough you can read it for yourself. We're hoping this will give you a good "feel" for the style of each of these commentaries.

It dawned on me later that it would have been good to have also given a nod to some of the other commentaries in this same type offer by Accordance (e.g. Practical). I am thinking specifically of the Bible Speaks Today Series. They are fairly inexpensive for Accordance and offer some very helpful insights.

Just my 2

Archived