Photo

iPad

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: iPad

Would you use an iPad Accordance app?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 flips

flips

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Jesus
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:16 PM

For me an important point would be the ability to store texts on the iPad/iPhone, and not require online connection to use the app — like the Logos app (and many others) ...
flips B)

#22 revtim

revtim

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Twitter:@revandmrshall
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, the Bible, preaching, technology, & working on my D.Min.
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

For me an important point would be the ability to store texts on the iPad/iPhone, and not require online connection to use the app — like the Logos app (and many others) ...

I agree with flips here. Not needing Wifi to run the app is the way to go if possible.

In Christ,

Tim Hall

MacOS
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017) [space grey...coolest computer color in my opinion]
1.2 GHz Intel Core m3
8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3
Intel HD Graphics 615 1536 MB
Running Catalina 10.15x

iOS
iPhone X on Verizon
64 GB
Running iOS 13x

iPad Air (3rd generation)
Wi-fi only
64 GB
Running iOS 13x

#23 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,058 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

Yes, that is what we are planning to do, the modules will be loaded onto the iPad/iPhone/iPod and Wifi or internet acess will not be required thereafter in order to run the program.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#24 J Micah

J Micah

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Bible, family, hiking, photography, tech.
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

I also agree. After playing around with an iPad today and trying out the Logos software, I am definitely looking forward to Accordance on the iPad. In fact, I don't think I'll get an iPad until Accordance is available, since the media consumption aspects of the iPad are not that high on my list of priorities. Having Accordance in a more mobile fashion would be nice, especially when I'm teaching.
I'll definitely be checking for news on this front.

Grace & Peace, 

Jaime 

#25 revtim

revtim

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Twitter:@revandmrshall
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, the Bible, preaching, technology, & working on my D.Min.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

Yes, that is what we are planning to do, the modules will be loaded onto the iPad/iPhone/iPod and Wifi or internet acess will not be required thereafter in order to run the program.

Helen,

Every time you post something in this thread I get giddier and giddier.

The Accordance team's thoughtfulness and thoroughness never ceases to amaze me. It is why I thank God for you guys, and tell all my friends that need a Bible program about you!

In Christ,

Tim Hall

MacOS
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017) [space grey...coolest computer color in my opinion]
1.2 GHz Intel Core m3
8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3
Intel HD Graphics 615 1536 MB
Running Catalina 10.15x

iOS
iPhone X on Verizon
64 GB
Running iOS 13x

iPad Air (3rd generation)
Wi-fi only
64 GB
Running iOS 13x

#26 Darin Allen

Darin Allen

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Technology, Coffee, Gaming
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:20 PM

After using the iPad for several days now, I am convinced it is the ideal format for an Accordance app. If the speed and elegance of Accordance searches were able to be placed into an iPad app there truly would be nothing able to compete with it. It is very exciting to think about!
Darin Allen
Director of Marketing

#27 Tom Childers

Tom Childers

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:church history, cemetery walks, computers, genealogy, photography, ham radio

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

I have hopes that the Accordance iPad app will be able to display to a projector in both mirror and dual screen formats.

#28 John C.

John C.

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

I would add my agreement that as long as I can use my purchased modules, I would be willing to pay for an iPad version of Accordance. For me this is a killer app for the iPad; build an Accordance app and I will buy an iPad (well sooner than I probably would normally).

BTW: I would be willing to be a beta tester. :)

Edited by John C., 08 April 2010 - 05:08 PM.

#29 WGTShedd

WGTShedd

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Theology, Walking, Rowing (indoor) and Scotch

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

I'm assuming this will work with an iPhone/iPod Touch as well? If so, wow, that would mean that I can now have Accordance on my phone, macbook, and on my soon to be acquired iPad (when the app is created). I will pay to get this app. It seems only fitting. How soon will this come out? Would love it before I leave the country in June to teach!
Pastor (PCA); B.A., M.A.R., Ph.D.
Adjunct Seminary Professor
Visiting Lecturer in Theology and NT in S. Africa

#30 schniedewind

schniedewind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

This would give me a good reason to consider getting an iPad -- in fact, I wouldn't get an iPad unless I could use it with Accordance. I have OliveTree, which is fine for the iPhone, but not robust enough for a large screen. The iPad also would be useful for reading articles/PDFs. It also would be nice to have endNote for the iPad...

Edited by schniedewind, 09 April 2010 - 09:30 AM.

#31 circuitrider

circuitrider

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

iPad in hand, really looking forward to putting Accordance on it. I wasn't real sure how much utility I would get out of the iPad, but I am already seeing how incredibly powerful and versatile it is, even with the limited number of apps specifically made for it. I find myself wishing daily that the Accordance was already installed.

#32 sobertruth

sobertruth

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:27 PM

iPad in hand, really looking forward to putting Accordance on it. I wasn't real sure how much utility I would get out of the iPad, but I am already seeing how incredibly powerful and versatile it is, even with the limited number of apps specifically made for it. I find myself wishing daily that the Accordance was already installed.

My thoughts as well. I find myself using my iPad as my primary computer (I have a Macbook and iPod touch as well). An Accordance app would be fantastic!
Chris
Presbyterian Pastor

#33 danzac

danzac

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:NT, historical Jesus, DSS, NT Backgrounds

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

The logos app doesn't require a connection to use anymore— only a connection when you want to put something "on" the iPhone (and presumably iPad)

#34 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,902 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

The logos app doesn't require a connection to use anymore— only a connection when you want to put something "on" the iPhone (and presumably iPad)

Not completely correct. It does still require a connection to search--which is frustrating if you don't have one.

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#35 Greg Terry

Greg Terry

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study & Accordance!, Puritans, Reformers and John Calvin. Solidly reformed in doctrine.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

Haven't got an iPad yet although I have an iPod Touch (considering an iPad strongly) but an Accordance app for it would mean a definite YES! YES! YES!

The lack of an Accordance app for iPad is its biggest negative to me.
Peace!

Greg

"I was but a Pen in God's hand, and what praise is due to a Pen?"

–Richard Baxter–

#36 Alex H.

Alex H.

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

This is great news!!! I was just checking out what Olive Tree's BibleReader has to offer in the way of commentaries, etc., and thought, 'I wonder if Accordance...' The BibleReader app is a very strong product IMO and I love it, but having access to my already purchased Accordance modules as well as user notes would make Accordance a no brainer. Once you'd developed for the iPad would you port it to the iPhone as well (not a deal breaker by any stretch)?

The biggest issue will be the UI. I'm sure you guys will do really well, but that's my single biggest plea.

Oh dear, having to choose between my two favourite Bible Software suites. C'est la vie.

www.alexhuggett.me

#37 Alberto Rodriguez

Alberto Rodriguez

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hello,
I have been reading along all this time about IPhone/IPad. Since I switched to MAC, I've loved Accordance. What surprises me is that Logos has already released an app for both while we "wait" for Accordance. What is keeping it from happening if things are going well? Just curious.

#38 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,058 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

Well, we want to do it right, and you must understand that the iPhone/iPad OS is quite different from any Mac OS. We didn't want to write just a simple Bible reader, but to use underlying Accordance code to read Accordance modules. We have to port a very mature, complex, program to an entirely new OS, and then we have to design a completely new interface for a touch screen rather than mouse and keyboard. We waited a while as we explored various options, and as Apple's policies on the new OS were clarified. Now are working on it, believe me, as hard as we can.

As soon as we have something that satisfies our standards, we'll release it, though initially it won't have all the features of the Mac version of Accordance. Then we'll work to improve it over time.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#39 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,902 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Well, we want to do it right, and you must understand that the iPhone/iPad OS is quite different from any Mac OS. We didn't want to write just a simple Bible reader, but to use underlying Accordance code to read Accordance modules. We have to port a very mature, complex, program to an entirely new OS, and then we have to design a completely new interface for a touch screen rather than mouse and keyboard. We waited a while as we explored various options, and as Apple's policies on the new OS were clarified. Now are working on it, believe me, as hard as we can.

As soon as we have something that satisfies our standards, we'll release it, though initially it won't have all the features of the Mac version of Accordance. Then we'll work to improve it over time.

The above made me think of Orson Wells' line, "We will serve no wine before its time."

(with apologies to my fellow Baptists)

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#40 schniedewind

schniedewind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

I'm confident you'll do it right! I'm mostly interested in reading texts and doing basic searches. I think a "lite" version of Accordance would be just fine! Looking forward to Accordance for the iPad.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users