Photo

iPad

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: iPad

Would you use an iPad Accordance app?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Chris Echols

Chris Echols

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:God stuff and Audio/Visual Stuff
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

Just a note on usage...

I've (well, my wife too, since I had to smooth over the purchase I wasn't going to make until later) we've been taking the iPad to church in lieu of lugging around my KJV, NASB, NIV, AMP parallel bible. We absolutely love it using the YouVersion App. But now, I'm seeing that I would need two iPads (one for taking notes, and one for reading and comparing scripture, and I'm sure I can talk my wife into another iPad purchase).

We have a tendency to attend churches that require a bible and notepad, so having an easy note taking ability could be a nice "sell" with a decent "lite" Accordance app. I've had good success with using a handwriting app (WritePad) and the iPhone stylus, since i'm slower with my typing than my wife is with the writing.

Am I the only one who checks the accordance website two-three times a day just to make sure I don't miss the announcement?

#42 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,703 posts
  • Interests:Ô£Ņ gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

Am I the only one who checks the accordance website two-three times a day just to make sure I don't miss the announcement?

Probably not. But, save yourself the time and subscribe to our News feed, the blog. or better still follow us on Twitter where all of our feeds are automatically delivered. :-)
Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development

#43 Mark Nigro

Mark Nigro

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Theology, biblical and modern languages, motorcycles, classical guitar, technology
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

Just curious, any ETA for the first release? :D

Mark Nigro

Dean of Students and Director of Operations

Calvary Chapel Bible College
www.calvarychapelbiblecollege.com
http://uthinkology.wordpress.com

---------------------------------------------------

2016 MacBook Pro / 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

OSX Sierra 10.2

iPhone 6S

#44 circuitrider

circuitrider

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

No, you are not the only one. I am eagerly checking, daily.

Just curious, any ETA for the first release? :D

Days, weeks, or months?

I do want to say that I appreciate Accordance taking their time to do things right. Speaking on the new iPhone 4.0 update and mulit-tasking, Steve Jobs made a point to say that Apple may not be the first, but when they do show up they will be the best.

I'd like to see the iPad Accordance app today, but also want a quality and dependable product. I have confidence that whenever it is released it will be worth the wait.

But I'll still be checking daily! :D

#45 Michael Strachan

Michael Strachan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Biblical Theology, Apocalyptic, Eschatology, New Exodus, New Testament use of the Old, Pseudepigrapha, New Testament Apocrypha
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:00 AM

Well, we want to do it right, and you must understand that the iPhone/iPad OS is quite different from any Mac OS. We didn't want to write just a simple Bible reader, but to use underlying Accordance code to read Accordance modules. We have to port a very mature, complex, program to an entirely new OS, and then we have to design a completely new interface for a touch screen rather than mouse and keyboard. We waited a while as we explored various options, and as Apple's policies on the new OS were clarified. Now are working on it, believe me, as hard as we can.

As soon as we have something that satisfies our standards, we'll release it, though initially it won't have all the features of the Mac version of Accordance. Then we'll work to improve it over time.

Please don't wait too long! Late April is almost here, and the one app that would make my iPad 3G really shine (i.e. Accordance) isn't available yet. IMO, you're not dealing with a market where releasing a VERY basic app to begin with is going to hurt you. Accordance users are going to use and pay for your app as soon as its available and are going to appreciate any advancements along the way. I would be pleased even if the first version of the app only brought the texts over and nothing else. Just to be able to go to any of the texts in my Accordance library at any time on my iPad would be invaluable, even without the option to search or take notes, etc.

Just some thoughts as I anxiously await the N. T. Wright conference at Wheaton College tomorrow (guess its this morning by now). Richard Hays kicks things off at 8:40, so I need to get some sleep.

Mike

#46 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

I love the enthusiasm, everyone!

God is really working on my patience here too, as I have wanted a mobile version of Accordance ever since I got my iPhone. (sigh) I know our programmers are hard at work on it, but I also know we'll wait until they get it right to release it. If Apple had just gone ahead and released an iPad with a version of the Mac OS on it, we'd probably have had it out already. However, now we have both the iPhone and the iPad to consider, there are many, many decisions to be made...

I'm sure all of you know we don't believe in "vaporware." We also don't sell pre-release, alpha, or even beta(!) versions of software to our customers. What that means is that we tend to hold our cards pretty tightly to our chest until we can be reasonably certain of a release date.

Meanwhile, prayer for our programmers is always in order. I'm sure they'd appreciate it...

Edited by Timothy Jenney, 16 April 2010 - 07:47 AM.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#47 Scott Ferguson

Scott Ferguson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

Iím thrilled to know itís under development. At times, retiring to the office is a welcome retreat. However, I have often longed to sit amongst the family, on the comfy couch, while continuing my studies. Ipad + Accordance = Geek Bereans. Count me in!

#48 B Tan

B Tan

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Twitter:badtanline
  • Accordance Version:13.x

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

Meanwhile, prayer for our programmers is always in order. I'm sure they'd appreciate it...

You know, I never thought about praying for programmers before! Quite excited at the thought now. Thanks!

#49 Kevin Soars

Kevin Soars

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

They have my humble prayers iPad or no iPad!

Kevin.
Kevin.

#50 Ed Cross

Ed Cross

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:King James Bible

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:59 AM

They have my humble prayers iPad or no iPad!

Kevin.

My prayers are with you also. I will pray earnestly as I just purchased my iPad and can't wait to get Accordance on it!

Ed Cross

#51 circuitrider

circuitrider

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

Dear God,

Please hear my humble petitions to thee this day:

1- Please help the Accordance developers get done with the iPad/iPhone version very, very quickly.

or

2- Help me have greater patience while you grant them grace to complete the project in due time.

However, Lord, I do prefer #1 over # 2

Amen

#52 tassiecelt

tassiecelt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

I'll vote for an iphone version. With a macbook and an iphone I feel no need for ipad as well. iPhone can slip in your pocket (pocket bible) and you have the Word with you everywhere you go.

There are a couple of good Bibles for iPhone, but Accordance for iPhone would be great.

#53 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

:D I seem to have inadvertently started an online prayer meeting! :D
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#54 Alex H.

Alex H.

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

IMO, you're not dealing with a market where releasing a VERY basic app to begin with is going to hurt you. Accordance users are going to use and pay for your app as soon as its available and are going to appreciate any advancements along the way. I would be pleased even if the first version of the app only brought the texts over and nothing else. Just to be able to go to any of the texts in my Accordance library at any time on my iPad would be invaluable, even without the option to search or take notes, etc.

That's true as far as current Accordance users go, but this also has the potential of attracting new customers and there are some very mature mobile Bible study apps out there. Not to mention that other Bible-software-that-shall-not-be-named making a strong pitch for the iP* platform. So I think Accordance needs to offer a strong platform at launch. Of course, it may all be ho-hum for PC users, but for people after a stand-alone app and Mac users, it could be significant.

www.alexhuggett.me

#55 Pat Lazovich

Pat Lazovich

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

:D I seem to have inadvertently started an online prayer meeting! :D

I am committing to pray for the developers and also volunteering for being a beta testes if needed. I love my iPhone and really love my iPad it is going to be something that moves me from lugging around a laptop. Can't wait for an Accordance iPad app. Right now using OliveTree and it is okay but nothing like my Accordance.

Patrick Lazovich

#56 Fr. Matthew Thurman

Fr. Matthew Thurman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

I finally had an opportunity this past weekend to stop in at the local Apple store and play with a iPad for myself. After standing there for 20 minutes oblivious to the world around me, I felt the overwhelming desire to download various apps I currently use on my iPod Touch. This was soon balanced by the realization that any near-term funds to purchase one of these for myself is not in the immediate future--something about necessary maintenance on one of the family cars. Maybe once iPad for Accordance is available, I'll be in shape to purchase. In the mean time, I'll content myself to being chained to my primitive MacBook Pro. (!)
Rev. Fr. Matthew Thurman
Pastor -- St. Luke's Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church -- Chagrin Falls, OH
<a href="http://www.saintluke...odoxchurch.org" target="_blank">www.saintlukeorthodoxchurch.org</a>

#57 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

Really feeling the need for an Accordance iPad app. Just a reader will do for now, preferably programmed in Objective-C so Apple won't think it has an intermediary layer. Any progress update?
Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#58 michaelcriner

michaelcriner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Any update on the iPad app? This would be a huge help in regards to doing research within Accordance? Just curious. thanks!

#59 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,058 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

It's coming along nicely. No, there is no projected release date. When we know something, we'll announce it.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#60 michaelcriner

michaelcriner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

It's coming along nicely. No, there is no projected release date. When we know something, we'll announce it.

That's great news! I love Accordance and my iPad... Just can't wait until it all comes together! Thanks again for all the hard work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users