iPad

Jeremy Horneck

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dan,

Ultimately, it's not a matter of size, but of cost versus benefits. As I understand it, your interest in having your library accessible via the internet is so that you won't have to choose between which modules you store on your device and which you stream from the internet. Yet big as Apple is, you have to make those kinds of decisions where your music, movies, and photos are concerned. To offer you a convenience even Apple doesn't offer, we would need to open a big can of worms--a can of worms our larger competitor has its hands full trying to deal with. First, where most publishers have no objections to you accessing your previously purchased modules on a mobile device, many do have concerns about you accessing those books via the internet. By relying on the internet to stream those modules, we would only be able to offer a subset of our available modules. Then there is the infrastructure that would need to be built, the privacy and security issues that would need to be dealt with, etc. And of course, this kind of streaming option would result in a less responsive interface dependent on an internet connection. At this point, the costs just don't strike us as worth the benefits. Hopefully that's not a deal-breaker for you or anyone else.

By the way, we're holding our cards pretty close to the vest where iPhone/iPad development is concerned, and even I have only gotten glimpses of what's in the works, but the more I see, the more excited I get. I think you're all going to be very pleased with the end product.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Julia Falling

• R. Mansfield

• Robb B

• Helen Brown

I think you're all going to be very pleased with the end product.

Well, well, if that isn't a tease... we wait with patience. Keep up the good work. I wish I would have switched to Accordance years ago; BW via emulation was a pain and I kept doing it for years - now the chance to have Accordance on an ipad and an ipod is simply wonderful.

Yet big as Apple is, you have to make those kinds of decisions where your music, movies, and photos are concerned. To offer you a convenience even Apple doesn't offer ... Then there is the infrastructure that would need to be built, the privacy and security issues that would need to be dealt with, etc. And of course, this kind of streaming option would result in a less responsive interface dependent on an internet connection.

Okay, time for a bit of speculation and Devil's advocacy here...

There are a couple of significant Apple rumors circulating right now regarding Apple's own "cloud" strategy. First, there's the known fact of the massive server farm Apple has built in North Carolina. They've yet to even offer an explanation of its purpose, but the best theory I've heard has to do with the capability for uploading all your iTunes data to their servers for near-immediate access anytime you want it. I'd love this because I currently have a 500 GB hard drive in my MacBook Pro, and 239 GB of that is my iTunes folder. Not kidding.

The above rumor coincides with another rumor related to all this--that Apple is going to make MobileMe free as a primary interface to all this cloud business.

So what if--and I haven't heard this anywhere else; I'm just spit balling--what if Apple released an API to iPhone/iPad developers let them have the same access to the Apple/MobileMe cloud built right into their apps? Wouldn't that be incredible? And wouldn't that settle much of this--allowing folks who want to use the cloud with Accordance/iPad, and those who want to install everything on their devices get exactly what they want.

My current modules folder in Accordance is showing 9.16 GB and my 32 GB iPad is showing 11 GB available. I think I'd opt to fit every Accordance module on it if possible, but if not, a cloud solution might make sense if Apple goes the route of the rumor mill.

Or I could just delete the 10,000 family photos.

Okay, time for a bit of speculation and Devil's advocacy here...

There are a couple of significant Apple rumors circulating right now regarding Apple's own "cloud" strategy. First, there's the known fact of the massive server farm Apple has built in North Carolina. They've yet to even offer an explanation of its purpose, but the best theory I've heard has to do with the capability for uploading all your iTunes data to their servers for near-immediate access anytime you want it. I'd love this because I currently have a 500 GB hard drive in my MacBook Pro, and 239 GB of that is my iTunes folder. Not kidding.

The above rumor coincides with another rumor related to all this--that Apple is going to make MobileMe free as a primary interface to all this cloud business.

So what if--and I haven't heard this anywhere else; I'm just spit balling--what if Apple released an API to iPhone/iPad developers let them have the same access to the Apple/MobileMe cloud built right into their apps? Wouldn't that be incredible? And wouldn't that settle much of this--allowing folks who want to use the cloud with Accordance/iPad, and those who want to install everything on their devices get exactly what they want.

My current modules folder in Accordance is showing 9.16 GB and my 32 GB iPad is showing 11 GB available. I think I'd opt to fit every Accordance module on it if possible, but if not, a cloud solution might make sense if Apple goes the route of the rumor mill.

Or I could just delete the 10,000 family photos.

you should have purchased the 64GB ipad. ;-)

As to your idea, sounds great, but sadly, its all based on speculation... and I'd hate Accordance to develop an app that is speculative in nature... just my 2 cents.

you should have purchased the 64GB ipad. ;-)

As to your idea, sounds great, but sadly, its all based on speculation... and I'd hate Accordance to develop an app that is speculative in nature... just my 2 cents.

Oh, hey, I wouldn't want them to develop an app based on speculation either. Speculation was all that it was. Simply adding some interest to the overall conversation.

Hopefully, that server farm is near completion. Maybe we'll hear some details from WWDC in a couple of weeks.

And yes, I wonder if I bought too small of an iPad. It's still really too early to tell. But 7.87 GB of my used up space is photos. I simply let my iPad sync all 10,528 photos from iPhoto. Since they are on the computer, if I needed space, these would be the first to go.

I don't see a need for cloud storage—and am glad I won't have to depend on it for access to my modules.

I checked my Accordance folder recently. Since I podcast on all these modules, I believe I have virtually everything Accordance has published to date. My folder is just under 22 Gb. I doubt that any user that has that many modules and that much invested in Accordance would be deterred by the price difference between a 32 Gb and a 64 Gb iPhone/iPad. In short, you'll be able to have everything Accordance offers loaded onto your mobile device—and still have 42 Gb left for games and photos!

The "wheat to chaff" ratio is Accordance is also much higher than some other Bible software programs, another reason I think our users will not need to resort to storing things in "the cloud." It's not like we have a whole bunch of, ah, light-weight, low-brow junk we'll never use clogging up our hard drives.

Just my 2¢.

Edited by Timothy Jenney

What about Dropbox integration? I believe the Dropbox has an API for integration with its app on the iPad. This could allow up to 2GB of module storage for free and more if the user wanted to pay for additional space. I use Dropbox all the time. Just a thought for the powers that be at OakTree.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'm happy to not have stuff in the cloud. I don't think the technology is really there yet and our data allowances and 3G speeds aren't that great in Australia. Anyways, at the kind of sizes we're talking about, it's just not a big issue for me and, I suspect, most users.

I don't think it would really work piggy backing on Drop Box either. It would be very simple to do it on the Mac side simply by placing all your Acc files in your Drop Box folder. The problem would be on the iPad side. Even if you could get data out of Drop Box easily, you can't put it back. The exception might be integration a la my next paragraph.

What I would like to see if possible, and has been implemented by Bible Reader, is user notes synced via Evernote, Drop Box or some other service. Of course, BR doesn't have to sync with a desktop app, so I'm not sure the logistics there. I think this is the data that would change most frequently and benefit from over the air syncing the most.

Yesterday, Steve Jobs had some embarrassing moments while doing a demo of the new iPhone. Apparently, it was due in part to Wifi overload. As a minister, I do not want my presentation to be dependent on an Internet connection. If it is, I too, will have an embarrassing moment. I have hopes that the iPad and Accordance will be a replacement of my laptop for presentations. I will continue to do my research on my laptop or desktop, but present on the iPad. This means Keynote must do dual screen. As it is now, it is useless. The presentation is displayed on the projector, but not on the iPad. This is unacceptable and a great disappointment. Hopefully, the next upgrade will correct this problem. Recently, I have been looking at the features of various Bible programs available for the iPad. At the present, only one or two are acceptable for my use and I use them only to get a sense of the desired features for Accordance. Some features I care about are: set large fonts at 36 points plus; notes, bookmarks, search, mirror display or dual screen; fast scripture navigation; display book, chapter, verse above the verse reference with a blank line below, highlight verses; and sync two Bible translations in separate panes. It may never happen, but I have great expectation that the iPad and Accordance will be the presentation tool of choice for my presentations.

You know, I was excited to see the "official" necks about the iPhone/iPad app development, but at this point, it can't suck and HAS to be worth th e wait. It would be nice to at.least get some screen shots though.

We get so many inquiries about an iPhone app that we decided to make it official. Yes we are working intensively on a new Accordance app for the iPhone, but no, we do not have a release date.

The initial basic app will allow you to download, read, and search your Accordance modules. You will not need to be online. We do plan to add more features later, especially for the larger screenspace of the iPad.

I gather from this announcement that the first release will be iPhone specific and not be made for iPad but usable as an iPhone app on the iPad?

Edited by circuitrider

We hope it will be able to use the full screensize of the iPad. Further developments will have to wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Dr. J

Julie, I am C&MA as well.

My Accordance has given me such joy in studying scripture and I would love to have it on my iPad during our sermons and Bible studies. I feel I had such a small understanding of what the Bible had to say until I began to use the Hebrew and Greek lexicons and the many translations with the many commentaries.

And my little church is my family. I never knew that a church family could be so loving and so involved in your life and I in the lives of others. I grew up in this denomination, strayed from the Lord for 30 years and was brought back and again attend an Alliance church.

We have so many difficulties today in the current environment in our country but God is blessing us with churches that are better in showing the love of Christ and in the techinical advancements such as Accordance to help us learn what the Holy Spirit has for us.

Can't wait for the Accordance app!

Ruth Ann

I understand the issues about Internet access, but how about LAN access? The ability to treat you Mac's library as an extension of what is physically loaded on the iPad would be a great feature. I think a lot of ipads spend a lot of time house bound.

Well, I bought my iPad a couple days ago since I happened to be in the US. ;)

That is what I'm using to post this message. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it while I wait for the accordance app! :D

Congratulations! Get a good game, like Sudoku (if you like puzzles).

Julie

I understand the issues about Internet access, but how about LAN access? The ability to treat you Mac's library as an extension of what is physically loaded on the iPad would be a great feature. I think a lot of ipads spend a lot of time house bound.

+1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way, but my experience of waiting for an iPad app from Accordance is really the first time that I have felt disappointed with this company.

Although maybe I'm just being impatient, for a company that makes Mac-only software, especially software that is text driven (we're not talking about photo or video editing or anything that intensive), it seems like making software for the iPad would be a top-priority. I'll pay for the app. Quite frankly, I'd pay a significant amount for the app. The ability to take my texts, commentaries, dictionaries, etc ( I have the ESV Bible+ app, so I'm not particularly concerned about English Bibles) with me at all times without having to lug around my laptop is a service that I would gladly pay for. And yet I sit here looking at the Logos Bible app yearnfully.

I'm not sure why an Accordance app would be more difficult to produce than, say, the Papers app. Both seem to me to be doing the same thing. The computer version of the app contains a database of text-based/image-based files and information, the iOS app syncs via wifi to the computer app, transfers those texts and images to the iOS device, and makes them viewable, searchable, etc.

I'm not a computer or software programmer, so I speak as one with little-to-no knowledge on the difficulties of producing an app like Papers, and correspondingly an Accordance iOS app. I only know that the iPad was announced over seven months ago, and the iPhone has been around for years, and yet I'm still waiting.

Oh, and don't underestimate how much I'd be willing to pay for an app like this. Your time is valuable, and the service of being able to do what an Accordance iPad app should do is even more valuable.

Frustrated and Disappointed,

Mike

P.S. I'll probably regret posting this later, but I wanted to vent. This is what is keeping my iPad from being a perfect device for me.

P.S. I'll probably regret posting this later, but I wanted to vent.

Yep, you've "vented." For someone who admits that "I'm not a computer or software programmer, so I speak as one with little-to-no knowledge on the difficulties of producing an app," you might want to think about being a bit more cautious in your demands and more gentle in your tone. If you've taken time to read all the comments in this long thread (and several others related to the iPad), you should know that lots of us are waiting eagerly and that the Accordance folks are working hard on this project. They've given us more info on progress than normal and have also given us a general time frame for the app ("this fall"). With that, you'll have to practice the virtues of contentment and patience.

Dr. Decker

From the rumblings I've heard on 9to5mac.com and macrumors.com (admittedly rumor sites) the only iPad refresh between now and Christmas is software related (iOS 4.1). Hardware refresh won't occur until the Spring. I believe it, given that an iPod refresh is due soon, and the iPad is still sold out at many locations.

Glad to hear that Julie. Where are you studying?

More on topic, have you (or anyone else) heard any speculation as to when the first expected "refresh" of the iPad might happen? I'm trying hard myself to practice the virtues of "contentment and patience" and wait for that refresh before I buy an iPad. I did upgrade from iPhone from 3G to 4 in anticipation of the Accordance app.

I am auditing Advanced Greek Readings (3rd year Greek) at Milligan College in Elizabethton, TN (in Northeast TN). I think it's affiliated with the Christian Church. Theologically, my husband and I are Reformed Baptist. (We attend a CMA church now and have been for 7 or 8 years.) A few theological differences have come up. I just stay quiet at those times. I am probably not the typical auditor. I've taken every quiz and test and written every paper. Going back to school at 56, having been out for 30+ years, was a bit intimidating, but I've found that a decent understanding of English grammar, 3 years of high school Latin, and the study techniques that got me through a B.S. Chemistry program prepared me pretty well. The instructors at Milligan have been excellent. I've never attended any school where the teachers were so willing to do whatever is needed to enable a student to be successful. I've come to the conclusion that if a student will just put in the hours, the subject can be learned. However, the young people in my class are products of our miserable public school system and were taught little if any English grammar. They've had to work really hard to learn it and Greek grammar at the same time. Ought not to be!

I'm hoping for an iPad refresh before Christmas, but, according to Rob, it seems unlikely. If it doesn't come by December, I think I'll wait (though that is going to be hard).

Julia