Limited real estate

Gary Pauley

I am working off of a small netbook...so I have pretty limited "screen real estate." I've been experimenting with various screen configuarations...and was wondering if there might be some creative suggestions out there as to how to get the most out of my screen. One frustration I bump into...I keep shutting the Instant Details box (because it only shrinks down so far in width), but then always need it again. If I stretch it out and put it at the bottom of the screen...I have so little top-to-bottom space. The real answer is to buy a regular sized notebook...but, um that ain't gonna happen soon. Any thots?

The first thing you can try is setting the Instant Details box to automatically fade. That way, it'll be there when you need it, but fade away when you don't. To set this, go to the Preferences -> Instant Details, and check 'Set to automatically fade'.

The first thing you can try is setting the Instant Details box to automatically fade. That way, it'll be there when you need it, but fade away when you don't. To set this, go to the Preferences -> Instant Details, and check 'Set to automatically fade'.

Joel, thanks! I did not know about that option...but when I went to do it, the option is greyed out (can't select it). I am running in emulation with Basilisk. Is that unavailable in emulation?

How about using the keyboard shortcut (not sure what it is in the emulator, but it should be listed in the Window menu) to manually make it appear and disappear as desired?

How about using the keyboard shortcut (not sure what it is in the emulator, but it should be listed in the Window menu) to manually make it appear and disappear as desired?

My guess is that the "fade" option is OSX only. The emulator is 7.5.

There isn't a key assignment I can see in the drop down menu. Seems I can assign one. I haven't been on a mac in so long I've forgotten how...if I remember right I can use ResEdit to assing keys...

The keyboard shortcuts are the same on both platforms: to open and close Instant Details it is option-command-3 (which is windows-alt-3).

Archived