Accordance Chokes on Drive Name Change

Brett K.

I'm setting up my new computer, and I'm using a different hard drive name than I used on my old computer. Accordance launches super-slow, gives the spinning beach ball when you try to do anything, and never returns control to the user (it requires a force quit). I've left it running for over an hour, and it still never finishes launching.

I changed the drive name back to the name in the old machine, and Accordance launched perfectly--very fast. I changed the name back to the new name, and I got the never ending launch.

So it appears the problem is related to the drive name. I know that hard coding paths in an app is tricky and usually only done when absolutely necessary. Is that the case with Accordance? If so, which files have the hard coded path and can they be edited?

Or is it something completely different?

Thanks

--

Brett

Accordance 8.4.6

Mac OS X 10.6.3

MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

Changing the name of the drive should not affect the function of Accordance, so something strange is going on here. I believe that only relative path names are saved. The tech people who know the most about the paths are not available right now, but I am sure one of them will get back to you ASAP. In the meantime, can you try clearing the Console log, running Accordance with the new drive name, and emailing the resulting log file to me.

You can also try yourself seeing whether a different name for the hard drive makes a difference (perhaps your chosen one has funky characters), and whether if you create a new user, you can run Accordance as that user despite the name change.

I've done a little more research although I haven't done everything you've asked yet.

The hard drive names are just alphabetic characters--no numbers, whitespace, symbols, control characters, breaks, or anything else. Just alphabetic characters a-z. Old name is Bastet, and the new name is Amun.

The console shows nothing while Accordance is trying to start, and the Activity Monitor reports Accordance as unresponsive.

I poked around in the preference files and found that some of them contained full paths to resources using the old name of hard drive.

For example, the file ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences/User Tools references resources using the old name of the hard drive. Several other files in that folder do the same thing.

The file ~/Library/Preferences/com.OakTree.Accordance.plist also uses the old name of the hard drive to reference files.

I don't know if any of this has anything to do with it, but it's all I've found so far.

Thanks

--

Brett

You can certainly delete the pList and try again. I would also rename the entire Accordance Preferences folder in the user/Library/Preferences and try again. You will lose all your settings but keep your installed modules. The User Tools and User Notes files are probably the only ones with problems, so the others could be returned to the new Accordance Preferences folder if it works.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a follow-up in case anyone else comes across this problem. Your hard drive name is "hard coded" into a few of Accordance's preference files. If you change the name of your hard drive, Accordance doesn't know it and still looks for some of its data using the old drive name. I was able to add my new drive name to all of the affected preference files except the Favorites file. The Favorites file does not like being edited, and it will crash Accordance on start-up if you make any changes to it.

So, the short answer to the question of what happens if you rename your hard drive is . . . you have to manually tell Accordance where each one of your favorites is located again. If you have a lot of favorites, then you'll get to spend even more time with our beloved Accordance. ;) Fortunately I only have about 20 Favorites so it shouldn't take me to long to relocate each one of them individually.

--

Brett

Archived