Accordance fonts do not display in bold in Word

RichardKMoore

Mac OSX 10.6.4 Intel

Accordance 8.3.2

Yehudit and Helena fonts do not display in Word 2008 for Mac (12.2.5) when in bold

Richard showed me his problem, that some of his Greek was not showing in his Word documents. It does appear if the Bold is removed. He said that he has had problems with Bold styles with other, non-Accordance, fonts. Do any Word users out there recall similar issues and a solution?

• 6 months later...

Richard showed me his problem, that some of his Greek was not showing in his Word documents. It does appear if the Bold is removed. He said that he has had problems with Bold styles with other, non-Accordance, fonts. Do any Word users out there recall similar issues and a solution?

Yes, I've had and continue to have a similar problem. No Helena Bold appearing in word. It had worked on earlier versions of both MS Word and Accordance but I noticed this last semester when I went to open some handouts for my Greek class that the Helena Bold sections of text did not display... just blank slots.

Any solutions as yet?

I am running Intel, 10.6.5, Accord 9.1.1, and MS Word 2008 12.2.8.

Rikk

Yes, I've had and continue to have a similar problem. No Helena Bold appearing in word. It had worked on earlier versions of both MS Word and Accordance but I noticed this last semester when I went to open some handouts for my Greek class that the Helena Bold sections of text did not display... just blank slots.

Any solutions as yet?

Rikk

Hi, Rikk!

I too run Accordance 9.1 and Word 2008. However, I do not have the issues you are having. I tried copying and pasting a passage from the GNT this morning, both with "export as Unicode" and without it. Both came across just fine though Word identifies the Unicode export as "Geneva," rather than "Helena." I was also able to make the passage bold in Word, then plain. Both remained readable. Ditto for the passage I pasted from BDAG.

Check your Font Book [in Applications]. Search for "Helena." It should appear with a disclosure triangle beside it. Click the triangle and you should see four versions of the font: regular, italic, bold and bolditalic. I suspect you are missing "bold." If so, you'll need to add it to your Font Book.

The only other possible problem I can see is that you may have adjusted the Font Substitution settings in your Word document improperly at some time in the past [or they became corrupt]. You can check it here: Word Preferences>Compatibility>Font Substitutions. These settings control what happens when Word 2008 does not have an exact matching font available.

Hope this helps! If it doesn't contact me directly [drj@accordancebible.com] and we'll try to figure out what's going on.

Hi, Rikk!

I too run Accordance 9.1 and Word 2008. However, I do not have the issues you are having. I tried copying and pasting a passage from the GNT this morning, both with "export as Unicode" and without it. Both came across just fine though Word identifies the Unicode export as "Geneva," rather than "Helena." I was also able to make the passage bold in Word, then plain. Both remained readable. Ditto for the passage I pasted from BDAG.

Check your Font Book [in Applications]. Search for "Helena." It should appear with a disclosure triangle beside it. Click the triangle and you should see four versions of the font: regular, italic, bold and bolditalic. I suspect you are missing "bold." If so, you'll need to add it to your Font Book.

The only other possible problem I can see is that you may have adjusted the Font Substitution settings in your Word document improperly at some time in the past [or they became corrupt]. You can check it here: Word Preferences>Compatibility>Font Substitutions. These settings control what happens when Word 2008 does not have an exact matching font available.

Hope this helps! If it doesn't contact me directly [drj@accordancebible.com] and we'll try to figure out what's going on.

Thanks ... just checked Font Book... have Helena and on clicking the disclosure triangle, it says I have Helena bold. Copied bold Helena text from Accord (HBA), didn't display; also tried "Bold" on already displaying normal Helena in MS Word (HBMS) and text blanked; i.e. neither display. Checked Preferences\font substitution\ with said doc open, and both HBA and HBMS texts "displaying" (not) and responded "No font substitution is necessary. All fonts necessary are available" ... will contact you directly as per your message. (Helen: thanks, but restarts do not help... best)

Any solutions as yet?

Rikk

NOTE: problem was solved by:

a) removing Word Font substitutes and Office Font Cache (12) from ~\library\preferences\Word\Office 2008\ Prefs folder.

B) in Font Book, deleting Helena, and then reinstalling.

Thanks Timothy for your brilliant help.

Archived