How to search numerical parallelisms?

CWW

Here's an interesting challenge ...

Is it possible to construct a search that finds all the numerical parallelisms in the Bible? Where are all the instances a number (say n) and the same number plus one (n+1) appears in the same verse.

Things like:

Prov. 30:18

I am sorry, but Accordance is not set up for these kinds of searches. The best that I can suggest is to look for different numbers in a verse, using this construct. It should find all these cases, but will find many others where two numbers are used in a verse but not incremented by one.

numbers.png

Another way to approach this would be to use a search that specifies a series of paired numbers, like this:

(one <FOLLOWED BY> two) <OR> (two <FOLLOWED BY> three) <OR> (three <FOLLOWED BY> four) <OR> (four <FOLLOWED BY> five) <OR> (five <FOLLOWED BY> six) <OR> (six <FOLLOWED BY> seven)

You could extend this out as far as you like. I tried using wildcards to account for higher numbers like 41 and 42, but it quickly got messy.

At any rate, this search does find instances of numerical parallelism without returning too many false hits.

Hope this helps.

Archived