Map link in User Tool

MicheleS

I have been trying to make a link to the 2D basic map tool in my user tool, but it doesn't look like this is possible? The link for copying as user tool link is greyed out. I know I cannot put a picture in but I was hoping to link to the map.

Another thing - is it possible to make an external URL link that has the name of the item rather then the URL displayed as in a regular hypertext document? For an example of what I mean -

<a href="http://www.nancysnotions.com/">Nancy's Notions</a> so that you can have the URL under the radar so to speak. That would look nice. :)

If this has been covered please forgive the post, as I searched and do not see this in the forums.

Thanks!

Michele

You cannot link directly to a map, though I think you could save the map as a file and then link to the file.

We hope to allow the links to be hidden in the future, but the tricky part is unpacking them again for the edit window.

Michelle:

I don't think either of these are possible currently. I'd love to see both, but I doubt we will any time soon.

The settings for the Atlas are so customizable (layers, user layers, routes, colors, etc.) that I don't know how they could include all that info in a User Link and have it be user friendly.

I think the hidden link feature has been asked for before, and the answer was it wasn't possible in User Tools, but I can't find the thread, so I may be mis-remembering.

Lorinda

Edit: An Helen beat me to it, probably while I was searching for that thread. It's great to hear that hidden links are on the "hope to add" feature list!

You cannot link directly to a map, though I think you could save the map as a file and then link to the file.

We hope to allow the links to be hidden in the future, but the tricky part is unpacking them again for the edit window.

Thanks so much Helen, I have decided to link to my folder of other maps, etc, and that will be handy as well. Yes, as the user tool isn't really in hypertext format, and so on, I can see the problem, and it's not a very important need! I thank both you and Lorinda for the helpful and very quick responses!

Michele:)

Archived