Helena font and Apple Pages - underline display related

klim

Hi,

I am using Accordance 8.4.6 and have a question related to display of the Helena font in Apple Pages.

I'd like to underline some Greek words that are typed with the Helena font.

When I use Helena in an Apple Pages document and underline a word, the line is there under the word, but hardly visible.

In the display, it looks like the line is grey, and not black as I would expect. I have checked the settings in Pages, and the color

for underline is not set to grey. When the font is enlarged (to say 40pt), the color of the line looks normal, i.e. black.

This display issue is not in MS Word for Mac.

Any idea what may be the issue here?

thanks,

klim

I'm seeing the same thing. It doesn't happen with Unicode Greek, though.

Is there a particular reason why you are using Helena in Pages? Generally speaking, it's best to use a Unicode font for Greek or Hebrew in Word Processing programs.

Lorinda

I'm seeing the same thing. It doesn't happen with Unicode Greek, though.

Is there a particular reason why you are using Helena in Pages? Generally speaking, it's best to use a Unicode font for Greek or Hebrew in Word Processing programs.

Lorinda

This is not my question, but I thought I'd put in my two cents to answer Lorinda's "why" from my own experience. I often use Helena and Yehudit in word processing programs even though I could export to Unicode if I wanted to, simply because the Accordance fonts are so much nicer looking than any Unicode font I've seen.

I hope klim (and the board?) will forgive the intrusion; but may I ask R. Mansfield a question? Have you ever used Mellel's New Peninim font? It seems, to me, to be the same as the Yehudit font of Accordance. Just curious, thanks!

Kevin.

I hope klim (and the board?) will forgive the intrusion; but may I ask R. Mansfield a question? Have you ever used Mellel's New Peninim font? It seems, to me, to be the same as the Yehudit font of Accordance. Just curious, thanks!

I admit I have not, Kevin. I'll check it out.

I admit I have not, Kevin. I'll check it out.

The New Peninim font looks good for Hebrew, but allow me to recommend the Ezra SIL font for Hebrew and the Galatia SIL font for Greek. These unicode fonts correspond very closely to the Accordance fonts and are nearly identical with BHS and UBS GNT. I also have two keyboard layouts that are very intuitive and speed up typing Hebrew and Greek immensely. The Hebrew layout is SIL Hebrew and the Greek layout is SophoKeys Caps. When you use these tools in conjunction with a good multi-directional word processor (definitely not MS WORD), and have the preference in Accordance set to export unicode text, the results are impressive. I highly recommend Mellel as the most capable of the word processing tools at present. The developers wrote their own text engine and it is superior to anything else out there.

Best regards,

Ron

I've had a request for the Ezra SIL and Galatia SIL fonts and the two keyboard layouts I mentioned in the above post, so I've attached them. The keyboard layouts should be decompressed into four files and placed in the home/user/library/keyboard layouts folder. Double-click the fonts to decompress and then double-click each again to launch FontBook and install them. Then open System Preferences, choose International, then select the Input Menu and make sure the check boxes on SIL Hebrew and SophoKeys Caps are selected. Also check the box in the window that says "show input menu in menubar."

Whenever you wish to type Hebrew, select the SILHebrew keyboard layout from the Input Menu, and for Greek select the SophoKeys Caps menu. Then make sure the appropriate font is selected in your word processor (Mellel, Pages, NisusWriter Pro, and I believe Open Office and Neo Office -- NOT Word). I don't have a graphic of the keyboard layouts, but they are very intuitive. eg. in Hebrew type the consonant first (if dagesh lene or forte is present, type + key), (final forms are generated automatically if it is the last consonant in a word). Then type the vowels (for qames, type capital "A", for pathah type small "a", for hatep pathah, type option-"a"; etc). Aleph is > and Ayin is < -- think transliteration character). Greek is equally intuitive (look at keycaps utility for guidance).

Best regards,

Ron

The constant flow of help (and the work that it must entail) and the kindness with which it is given on this Forum and by those 'in the office' can only give rise to grateful thanks!

Kevin.

Quality Greek fonts are available from the Greek Font Society,

http://www.greekfont...typefaces1.html

I agree with Alistair. I just discovered the GFS fonts a couple of months ago. The Bodini and Didot fonts have Roman (English) type faces (as well as italic and bold). They are quite sufficient. Some of the other minuscule fonts have some really pretty ligatures. I use GFS Gazis for my papers and stuff.

Archived