another problem with updating

voyager

Hi Helen -

I recently moved to a new computer, and now the 8.4.7 update fails to launch. I have checked permissions on my Accordance folder, my ~/Documents/Accordance folder, and the Library/Fonts folder - there were problems - and I fixed the problems, as far as I know. Currently both I and admin have read/write privileges in all those places. And I have done a restart. But the updater still fails to launch. What else is the updater looking at or for?

Hopefully there's a simple answer, but if there isn't, I suppose I could delete the Accordance app and the fonts and do a reinstall from the original Accordance 8. Is that true, and would I then be able to jump all the way to 8.4.7, or are there in-between stages that are necessary to reach 8.4.7?

Thanks.

Do you have SpellCatcher or Grammarian? Please turn them off and try the installer again.

The updater isn't looking for anything except a version of Accordance 8.

I do have SpellCatcher, but turning it off did not solve the problem. :(

My 8.4.6 is in the Accordance folder in the Applications folder, and as I say, the permissions for both Accordance folder and app are okay...probably. When I did the transfer from old computer to new computer, Migration Assistant had a hiccup, and so there is also an "Unknown" listed as having read/write privileges in addition to me and admin. I have not encountered a problem with that anywhere else, but could that be scaring off the installer? It gets to "Authenticating Installer," has a couple of seconds of that, and then quits.

I never had a problem with an update before changing computers, so I strongly suspect it's due to that.

Accordance 8.4.6 itself, and the fonts, work just fine. I simply can't get the updater to work.

Thanks again.

Here are my Sharing & Permissions for Accordance under Snow Leopard--you might want to remove any other users who have Read & Write and set staff and everyone to Read only.

Did that - still no joy.

I also removed the fonts from the Fonts folder, in hopes that the installer would want to reinstall them, but it still fails.

If no obvious solution presents itself, my next step would be to copy the files from my old computer manually.

But I'm beginning to suspect a clean reinstall will be required. So if I do that, can I update to 8.4.7 without intermediate updates?

PS.for JP. I see that your app resides in the Accordance Folder and mine's in the Accordance folder. Dunno why.

You can try creating a new admin user and seeing if the installer will run for that user. That would indicate a problem with your present user on this Mac. The installer will ask for a code it it doesn't find Accordance 8, but other than that no intermediate updates are required. I don't think removing anything will help.

Archived