Broken? Add to iTunes as an Audio Track

R. Mansfield

When OS X 10.6/Snow Leopard was released, it included a nifty little script that converted any selected text to an audio file. It worked in any program, including Accordance, that had access to the the OS X Services menu.

I wrote a post about this on my blog last year: "Create Your Own Audio Books."

Recently, I was going to be in the car for about three hours, so I thought I'd convert some commentary content on Ephesians from Accordance to an audio track to listen to as I drive. After selecting the text and then choosing "Add to iTunes as an Audio Track" from the Services Menu, the turning gear correctly displayed in the menu bar. This gear is supposed to alert the user to the fact that the text is being converted to audio format. Usually, even for long amounts of text, it doesn't really take all that long. If everything goes well, it's supposed to appear in iTunes.

However, it's not working. The gear turns, but it never quits. I can stop it by clicking on it or by restarting my computer. I just tried to convert a paragraph from a webpage, and the gear has been going for ten minutes (it should have taken about 10 seconds).

So is this working for anyone? Can you get it to work on your Snow Leopard Mac in Accordance or any other program that accesses the Services menu?

Might the current breakage of Automator actions be relevant?

Yes. That article led me to one specifically related to adding text to iTunes as a spoken track:

http://www.ismashphone.com/2010/09/minor-bug-stops-automator-from-working-in-itunes-10-but-theres-a-fix.html

Thanks for your help!

• 3 months later...

Yes. That article led me to one specifically related to adding text to iTunes as a spoken track:

http://www.ismashphone.com/2010/09/minor-bug-stops-automator-from-working-in-itunes-10-but-theres-a-fix.html

Thanks for your help!

I would be interested in how you actually do this?!

Chris

Archived