9 Moved Everything to the Desktop

Brett K.

I had v9 installed in my normal Accordance folder. When I launched it, it asked where my Accordance folder was located. I told it and then I got a message about it moving old files to the desktop. However, my Accordance folder is now gone and the Previous Accordance folder on the desktop contains some of what used to be in my Accordance folder--v9 app and all. Other items are completely missing.

So now I have no Accordance folder and the v9 app lives in a Previous Accordance folder on the desktop?

What did it move? What was supposed to be moved? How do I fix this?

Thanks

--

Brett

See the notes on 9, especially under Installation, which should explain what you're seeing. Sounds like you may need to move just the app back into /Applications.

Thanks for the info. I read where it says:

Accordance 9 on OS X will reorganize your Accordance files, and move any unnecessary files to the desktop. Accordance will run in Applications, and the related files will be in /Library/Application Support/Accordance/. Your preferences and saved files are in the same locations as before, in ~/Documents/ and ~/Library/Preferences/.

But it did not put anything in the Application Support folder. Everything is in the Previous Accordance folder on the desktop (see screen shot).

What is supposed to be in Application Support and what is supposed to be deleted?

Thanks

--

Brett

post-734-128502526911_thumb.jpg

Hm... sounds like a bug.

Here's what's in my /Library/Application Support/Accordance after running the 9.0.2 installer:

post-72-128502608682_thumb.png

Ah, it created the Accordance Application Support folder in the local domain (rather than the user domain). I guess I can just move it. But I don't know what in the Previous Accordance folder should be moved or deleted. Sinced it moved that actual app to the desktop folder and the entire modules folder, I'm assuming there are files in the previous accordance folder that should not be there.

Any ideas?

Thanks

--

Brett

Please contact tech support tomorrow to sort out what should go where and what you can safely delete.

Any idea why it went to your local domain? Was your Accordance in your user/Applications?

Any idea why it went to your local domain? Was your Accordance in your user/Applications?

Yes. I moved everything from the local install to my standard user install as Joel instructed. Then when I ran the app, poof, it moved everything out of my Applications folder (the Accordance folder, application, and all). It put the app, the modules folder, and several other files in the Previous Accordance folder on the desktop and it installed the app support folder in the local domain.

I can move the app support folder to the proper location, so my only question is which files in the Previous Accordance folder need to be kept. I know the app and modules must be kept, but I don't know where the modules go. And I don't know if any of the other files need moving as well.

Thanks for looking into this.

--

Brett

It sounds as though you recreated an Accordance folder after that initial move of 9. The only 'sacred' place that you actually shouldn't use anymore is /Applications/Accordance folder. This is because old CD installs will put their stuff there, so Accordance looks there to bring in any old CD installations. After processing those files, it'll move the folder out so as to not do it again. I'm not entirely following your entire process, so I can't tell you exactly what should/shouldn't have happened, but it may be best for someone to work with you directly that can actually see what's going on.

I have always had an Accordance folder in ~/Applications (i.e. ~/Applications/Accordance/). That's where the app has always lived.

Since v9 installed the new app in the local domain, I had to move it to the user domain. I put it where the app has always lived-- ~/Applications/Accordance/. I launched the app, it asked where the Accordance folder was, I told it, and that's when it did its magic.

Now my Accordance files are spread across three folders local and user domain app support plus the Previous Accordance folder on the desktop. Nothing relating to Accordance was left in the ~/Applications/ directory. The app and about half the modules are in the Previous Accordance folder (along with other files). The other half of the modules are in the local domain app support.

If I can just get a list of what is supposed to go where, I'll sort it out.

Thanks

--

Brett

Archived