Accordance 9 Install Makes Accordance Unusable for Me

FC2143

Let me preface this email by saying that I've been a satisfied Accordance user for nearly 15 years. A quick look at my account will show how much money I've spent on Accordance over the years. Until the version 9 update, I haven't had cause to complain about Accordance.

But the version 9 install is a disaster.

If Accordance 9 is going to force modules to be stored in the local domain (/Library/Application Support), the Accordance becomes unusable for me, because I must store _all_ of my files in the user domain (~/username) for backup and portability reasons. With the exception of device drivers (for obvious reasons) I have _never_ seen a Mac application that forced the user to store files in the local domain.

I've reverted to Accordance 8 from a Time Machine backup, and I'll have to stay with 8 until these problems are fixed in version 9. If Accordance is going to insist on forcing the user to install support files in the local domain, then Accordance 8 will be the last version I'll be able to use. :(

Please see this thread for future plans for the installation process.

Also, these "Notes on 9" installation details probably need to be highlighted before upgrading.

Please see this thread for future plans for the installation process.

Also, these "Notes on 9" installation details probably need to be highlighted before upgrading.

Thanks, but that thread doesn't appear to address my problem. I don't want to install Accordance on an external drive. I need to be able to install Accordance's files in the user domain on my boot drive, i.e. the drive in my laptop.

I've found a temporary solution that mostly works:

Move the Accordance folder from /Library/Application Support to ~/Library/Application Support

Create a symbolic link (ln -s) from ~/Library/Application Support/Accordance to /Library/Application Support/Accordance

Accordance 9 will run, but gives the following error on launch:

I/O Error #-1407 in the file "Accordance Settings f"

When I click OK, Accordance opens and everything seems to work. Annoying, but it will have to do until this issue is fixed.

Try this thread, then.

I am hopeful that the installation/update process will soon become significantly more flexible, to cover yours and others' scenarios.

Looks like I replied while you were posting your fix!

I can corroborate the error you're seeing (having tried the symlink last week) and I'm sure it'll be addressed very soon.

First of all, I am sorry that you are having to go through some changes that you did not expect. Some of this has already been discussed in this thread. (different from the one J.P. linked to).

Let me address some of your concerns and questions directly:

If Accordance 9 is going to force modules to be stored in the local domain (/Library/Application Support), the Accordance becomes unusable for me, because I must store _all_ of my files in the user domain (~/username) for backup and portability reasons.

This is the new default location of all Accordance modules. The vast majority of our users had extremely messy Accordance folders, with duplicate modules, old files, corruption, permissions problems, and more. It was the decision to greatly simplify this process and put the Accordance content in Application Support, which *is* the standard mac location. If you look at codec plugins for Final Cut Pro, or audio files for Logic, or any sort of content or enhancement, they are always stored in Application Support. Some programs choose to put it in the user domain, but that does not fit the Accordance paradigm. We have many users who run a multi-user environment, and the modules need to be able to be accessed from every single user account. It would be silly to require 10 users to each have their own multi gigabyte Accordance install. This is why so many programs do put content in the local Application Support.

I hope that explains why we made that choice for the default. However, this is far from your only option! As outlined elsewhere, you have multiple options for how you want to keep your Accordance files elsewhere.

Option 1: Create a symlink from whatever folder you wish to count as your Accordance folder to /Library/Application Support/ and call it 'Accordance'. Accordance will read all information through the symlink and never complain. The only thing you shouldn't do is maintain a /Applications/Accordance folder/, as Accordance will attempt to merge in files from there, as they would be from CD installations.

Option 2: After migrating, simply move your modules out to wherever you wish, and have Accordance point to them again. After the initial migration, it will not attempt to move your files again. So, you can take /Library/Application Support/Accordance/Modules/ and put that wherever you want. Then, run Accordance and it will ask you where your files are. After you reset the file paths, you will be good to go for the future.

I hope this helps explain things a bit better, and will help you get up and running on your own custom setup. We know that this is a little bit of a change for some users, and it was difficult to come to this conclusion. However, at the end of the day, we felt it was the right thing to do, and much more Mac-like going forward. We've been getting complaints for years that we keep content in the /Applications/ folder!

Edit: I see you posted about the symlinks while I was typing. It seems that this may be an error, and we will fix it ASAP. We definitely plan to fully support having your content elsewhere via the links.

Archived