Using Accordance content for teaching

Ken Han

Hi,

I am wondering what, if any, restrictions there are if I were to copy-paste maps/images/charts from Accordance modules and use it for handouts or post it on my blog as a supplemental notes to my sermons. In particular I am wondering about contents from ESV Study Bible and The Photoguide / Atlas / Timeline. Thanks.

Ken

For teaching you are welcome to use anything, though we alsways appreciate credit. The only restriction is that images may not be posted on the web without express permission, as these are usually copyright. Maps and Timelines are your work using our tools, so no problem.

Hi,

I am wondering what, if any, restrictions there are if I were to copy-paste maps/images/charts from Accordance modules and use it for handouts or post it on my blog as a supplemental notes to my sermons. In particular I am wondering about contents from ESV Study Bible and The Photoguide / Atlas / Timeline. Thanks.

Ken

Ken, I've found so many of the images in Accordance to be helpful when teaching. I believe one key in using them is to simply give credit to the source. If I'm using one of these images in a Keynote presentation, I either give source credit immediately on the slide, or I include a list of all sources on a final slide which I display as I wrap up the session or answer any remaining questions.

Thanks Helen/R.M.

I would, of course, be happy to give credit where credit is due. It's only right, and I wouldn't mind plugging Accordance a bit either. I just wanted to make sure what I wanted to do was proper. Is there anyone from Crossway on this blog who can comment on the use of materials from ESV Study Bible?

And whom do I contact to get permission to reuse images in the Photo Guide? I don't have the Photo Guide yet, but I would purchase it as soon as I can get clear answers about this. Thanks.

Ken

You would contact us for permission. We can only give it for those that don't have other copyright attribution besdie them.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested about using materials from ESVSB, this is what I heard from Crossway.

---begin quote---

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your message. At this point, we are not allowing people to print out the maps or illustrations from the Study Bible, they may be projected, but not used as a handout. The Study Bible material also cannot be used in any blogging material. We would encourage you to project these images to serve as helps to your congregation. Thank you for being conscious of our copyright and respecting its conditions.

We hope that you will be able to use these helps to supplement your sermons.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Katie Mieras

Customer Service Representative

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:06 PM

To: Customer Service Email

Subject: ESV Study Bible use

Hi,

I own the Accordance module for ESV Study Bible, and have questions about accepted use policy. Is it acceptable to Crossway that I use maps and charts from ESV Study Bible for non-commercial teaching purposes. Specifically, I am thinking of using it in my blog and / or handouts at church to complement my sermons. I will, of course, provide full copyright information each time I make use of materials in the ESVSB. I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.

Archived