Speed of Acc 9

williamk

I'm enjoying using Acc 9, but wonder if anyone else has experienced the following:

Acc 9 (on my Mac) is decidedly slower than Acc 8. Scrolling in windows is much slower; adjusting separator lines between panes or zones is jerky and slow to respond. All 'round, just seems sluggish compared to Acc 8.

The problem could be my computer, so here's my question. I run a G5 Mac Tower with only 1.8 ghz processor speed, 5 gigs of RAM, and a 4-5 year-old graphics card. Did Acc 9 move beyond the horsepower of my Mac to keep up? I'm sure this will happen in general at some point -- I'm already locked out of Snow Leopard with my antique Mac. So perhaps Acc 9 is asking for more horsepower -- especially when it comes to screen redraws -- than my Mac can deliver>

Or, in the opinion of the Acc software guys and gals, should a 1.8 ghz processor be adequate to run Acc 9 crisply?

Thanks for any feedback,

WK

Accordance 9 is still blazing fast and can run on any old system - for searching :) Its a known issue that drawing text right now is a bit sluggish, but it has already been sped up a great deal in 9.0.5.

it has already been sped up a great deal in 9.0.5.

9.0.5? Did I miss something? EasyUpdate doesn't show an app update and it's not listed on the Downloads page.

Or are you speaking of a "soon forthcoming" update?

Forthcoming! Very shortly, but not out yet. Sorry for the confusion.

I completely agree that Accordance 9 is slower than 8 and scrolling speed is really slower. I use a MacBook Pro (2009) with 2.26 GHz and 4 GB of RAM and most notably the horrible onboard graphics card that ships on the "lowest". I knew when buying the machine that compared to the models that have actual video cards, the scrolling speed (I tested on web pages) was marginal but now in Accordance 9 it is worse than it was in 8 which was already of "marginal" (same as web pages so the culprit was the hardware). I would venture to say that my machine profile (no dedicated graphics card) is typical of those who have even recent machines and so any software improvement to smooth out the scrolling speed would be greatly appreciated. Greatly!

Please please please...

I do limit the number of texts I view at once so as to minimize the "tying" of the scrolling.

If there are other settings I can tweak please let me know... Otherwise I will look forward to 9.0.5 ;o)

Blessings!

Beno

Don't worry, it is greatly improved in 9.0.5, which should be released very shortly.

I completely agree that Accordance 9 is slower than 8 and scrolling speed is really slower. I use a MacBook Pro (2009) with 2.26 GHz and 4 GB of RAM and most notably the horrible onboard graphics card that ships on the "lowest".

... but now in Accordance 9 it is worse than it was in 8 which was already of "marginal" (same as web pages so the culprit was the hardware). I would venture to say that my machine profile (no dedicated graphics card) is typical of those who have even recent machines and so any software improvement to smooth out the scrolling speed would be greatly appreciated. Greatly!

I find that really odd. I also run a MacBook Pro, though at 2.4GHz with 4 meg RAM, and I've never sensed it feeling slow at all. Searches, as always, are lightning fast, and it seems to scroll as fast as necessary. I wonder if it might be a configuration issue of some sort? You might see if there are any things you can do in terms of optimizing your setup. (Have an Apple store/Genius Bar within driving distance? They might have some ideas.) I do have a 7200 rpm hard drive (the standard is 5400) which speeds up hard drive access. I don't know how sensitive Accordance is to that sort of thing, but it could be a factor.

Hello Rod,

Thanks for the feedback. I am intrigued now as well. I do have a 500 GB HD which I suspect is running at 5400 rpm. What graphics card do you have? I have the 13.3" screen which only shipped with the onboard intel graphics card. When I was testing machines in the Apple store, I noticed that the scrolling speed was very different based on the graphics card.

I do tend to have many tabs in my workspace and I will try to minimize that.

I live about 1.5 hours away from Denver, and I could surely be enticed into a trip to the Genius bar. That is a good idea.

Thanks also to Carla for the encouragement that version 9.0.5 will help. I also look forward to that update for the version 8 tab function (click through the tabs with no drop down menus.).

Beno

Thanks for the feedback. I am intrigued now as well. I do have a 500 GB HD which I suspect is running at 5400 rpm. What graphics card do you have? I have the 13.3" screen which only shipped with the onboard intel graphics card. When I was testing machines in the Apple store, I noticed that the scrolling speed was very different based on the graphics card.

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256meg VRAM

15" screen

250 GB H.D. @ 7200 rpm

This is a 2.5 year old Mac. I ran the current version of Accord prior to that (7 I think?) on a 10 year old TiBook at 300 MHz with 1 Gig RAM and it was very fast (Accord, not the Mac!).

See what 9.0.5 does first, but if it's still not as snappy as you think it ought to be, it might be worth a drive to Denver some day.

Thanks Rod. I will see what the update does. The onboard Intel video chip that I have is really not very fast at all and I think the main culprit in this issue but since that is all I can do with my laptop I have no real other avenue. The developers surely have a better sense of the performance across platforms and their best approach to optimizing performance. At this point with what I have I can only say that scrolling is very "jumpy" and seemingly worse than in version 8. That being said Joel indicates that 9.0.5 will speed things up and he ought to know so I'll look forward to that update.

I'd gladly beta test it for them! ;o)

Thanks for taking the time to look up all that information and help out with advice.

Beno

Thank you Rod for the notice. I just installed it and the scrolling performance is much better. Actually very nice. Thanks to Accordance for the update.

A good start to the day!

Beno

Archived