Controlling Panes vs. Tabs

williamk

Question:

In Acc 8, when I was working in a Search window and wanted to open a dictionary or other module, the module would always open in a new Tab and Window, giving me the full width of the new window in which to navigate the new tool (dictionary, whatever).

In Acc 9, when I do the same thing, the new module opens in a new vertical pane. It grabs half the horizontal width of the original Search window, scrunching my biblical text up into a narrow column, and puts the dictionary in a narrow vertical column.

How do I set a default to cause new tools to open in new Tabs/Windows instead of in a new vertical pane in the original Search window?

(If this is a dumb question it's because I'm not an Acc power user and haven't taken time to read the "New Feature" materials in depth -- sorry.)

Tx,

WK

This is the one of the new features in Accordance 9, zones, that enable you to break up your workspace in to a variety of zones, each holding different content. If you'd rather not use zones, just go to General -> Preferences and set the Maximum Number of zones to 1.

Is it now impossible to create tabs in workspaces if Zones are set to unlimited (my current setting)? I really like the zones features, but like a number of users have expressed recently, sometimes, I want to have content that would automatically go into a zone, go into a tab of its own within the same workspace instead. Even if there a right click command to make the zone a separate tab within the same workspace, that would be useful.

And I've also noticed that if I separate a zone into its own workspace, there's no way to get it back into another workspace already open. I think this kind of back and forth ability would be helpful.

You can move a zone back into any other workspace or zone (except details) by dragging the zone title. If it's the only tab and x=zone in the workspace, it will close that workspace.

I did not like how Accordance 9 was forcing my Dictionary to open in a zone of its own or into an existing tool zone. I like to see the dictionary or commentary in a larger window. What I am doing to get the view that I want is one of two things.

1) If I want to amplify from a word or verse number, I select the word or verse and then select my desired resource by right-clicking and selecting it from my favorites. I of course had to set that resource as favorite first. This option will take you to the word (in a dictionary) or verse (in a commentary) you selected in your resource.

2) Or if I just want to open a particular commentary or dictionary I go through the resource palette and ⌘-Click on the desired resource.

Both of the above options opens the resource in a new workspace window. After I am done using the resource I can close it or drag it into any of my zones and add it as a tab. These are both quick ways to get a larger view of a tool and get it placed into the zone you desire.

Hope I didn't misunderstand your question and that this helps!

Archived