Explanations or Names of Diagramming Symbols?

kevinplarson

I don't believe that Accordance has any material out there that would explain the diagramming symbols. If you can get a copy of "A handbook for grammatical diagramming based on Philippians" by John McLean, I think that would be your best bet. I have just started to read through it and it has been very helpful. I have not had instruction on that book yet, but it is very easy to follow. If you are not able to get that, check our this link for Chapter 5 of "Interpreting the Pauline Epistles." I just did a quick look at it, and it too looks like it would be easy to follow.

There are several books that walk you through the Reed-Kellogg diagrammatical analysis method. Justin's mention of McLean's work is a good resource. I worked from this book in Undergraduate studies, then went on to diagram the book of Ephesians, and still diagram certain books today. McLean gently places more burden on the student in the diagrammatical analysis, by deleting certain portions of the diagram as the lessons progress.

Here is link explaining the basics of diagramming the five basic sentence types (i.e., SV, SVO, SVOC, SVIO, SLOC) with the Reed-Kellogg method.HERE

Bock and Fanning's monograph, Interpreting the New Testament, walks through each of the Reed-Kellogg sticks as well. HERE

By the way, you can see the name of each symbol in the bottom left corner of the diagram window as you drag your cursor over the symbols in the palette or in the actual diagram itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, David. Thanks to the others, too. I just mainly needed to figure out how the particular symbols fit with my training. Works well. Thanks.

Archived