Search within a Search

Shawn

After talking with Keith at Accordance today, he recommended I post this topic under Technical Support.

I was wondering if I am experiencing a technical issue as this wasn't reproduced by another forum member who didn't have the problem when trying to search for a Scripture reference within a search.

http://www.accordanc...?showtopic=5003

My original post is below:

In one of the training videos or Dr J's podcasts, I saw where you can search within a search, particularly finding Scripture references within an article. As I tried it out, I was unable to get any results, knowing the references were in the article. I would use 'more options' in the search area with 'search in every article,' 'AND,' and 'Scripture' selected. If I was looking for references to John 14 or 21, I wouldn't get any results. I could use 'John,' 'Jn,' 'J,' and either put in the chapter or not, say '14.' The 'select words from tool' dialogue would come up. This example would be BDAG

Another example is within NIDNTT where I searched for 'Jn 14' within a search for menw. The result was "The phrase you entered cannot be found." If I tried 'Jn,' I would get all the 'Jn' in the article that were not Scripture references, I wouldn't get all the 'Jn' references.

I'm probably missing something while trying to do this in lexicons. This 'search within a search' function works fine for me when I use a commentary such as NAC or NIVAC.

I attached a couple of pics of what I encountered in the examples above.

Thank you for any suggestions or pointers you can give...

Acc 9.0.4, MacBook Pro Intel, 10.6.4

post-30508-047787500 1287501679_thumb.png

post-30508-021646800 1287501681_thumb.png

The search within a search worked fine for me. I posted a screenshot so that you can see if there is anything different in what I did compared to yours.

post-7042-096683200 1287443779_thumb.png

Thank you for your reply. I'm unable to get what you did.

If anyone has a suggestion of what may be going on or if there is a solution, I would appreciate any help you can give. I modified the post with easier attachments to view versus download.

Many Thanks!

Shawn

I'm not able to reproduce what you attempted, Shawn. I tried identical searches to your posted ones in NIDNTT and BDAG and both worked fine. Interestingly, it seems to not be viewing your scripture field as a scripture field. 'Jn 14' shouldn't be considered a phrase, and BDAG shouldn't be pulling up the word picker for John. Some things to try:

1) If you create a brand new workspace and tool, does the error still occur?

2) If you run Check for Updates, are there any updates (downloadable or not) for those tools? Perhaps you are just running a very old version of them that needs updating?

Joel and Helen,

Thank you for your replies. The above problems continued yesterday, however, when I updated this morning to Acc 9.0.5, the search within a search issue was resolved with the update. I can now search within a search for a Scripture reference in both lexicons and commentaries. I wonder if something happened when installing another module a couple weeks ago. I had 9.0.4 installed then installed Biblical World in Pictures after which I had a font problem and the search within a search problem.

I continue to blown away at the performance of Accordance 9. When I applied search within a search for a Scripture reference, the result was instantaneous. So quick, it was like nothing happened yet the results were there.

Thank you for your responses and willingness to help me on this issue.

Blessings,

Shawn

Archived