Help with map pack

accordance4523

How do you get accordance to show the names of the roads on the map? I can see the read lines for highways, but there is no name. I'd like to find The King's Highway, Coastal Highway, Great Trunk Road, etc...

I can't seem to be able to tell me the names of the roads it is giving me red lines for.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

How do you get accordance to show the names of the roads on the map? I can see the read lines for highways, but there is no name. I'd like to find The King's Highway, Coastal Highway, Great Trunk Road, etc...

I can't seem to be able to tell me the names of the roads it is giving me red lines for.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe we have a layer that actually names the roads. Sounds like a fun project for a user layer though!

Just a general tip on maps: the greater the zoom, the more sites that appear. We do it that way to keep the map legible.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe we have a layer that actually names the roads. Sounds like a fun project for a user layer though!

Just a general tip on maps: the greater the zoom, the more sites that appear. We do it that way to keep the map legible.

I think you are right, Dr. J, at least I have never seen the option for, or had appear while zooming, the names of Roads.

I think you are right, Dr. J, at least I have never seen the option for, or had appear while zooming, the names of Roads.

wow...really? What use do red lines on a map do if you don't know what those red lines represent? Huge Fail.

wow...really? What use do red lines on a map do if you don't know what those red lines represent? Huge Fail.

Well, I don't know if they fail as you suggest. As Dr. J mentioned you can always create your own user layer in the maps containing this information. Having the ability to make your own user layer in the maps is a very attractive feature. Moreover, you could play a role in in the Accordance Exchange community by offering your layer to others. The preparation process might bring some interesting tidbits for your personal edification.

While I cannot say definitively, the Accordance Folk may even have an update in mind for the maps that includes such material. Often, though not always, a module or feature will mature over time

Well, I don't know if they fail as you suggest. As Dr. J mentioned you can always create your own user layer in the maps containing this information. Having the ability to make your own user layer in the maps is a very attractive feature. Moreover, you could play a role in in the Accordance Exchange community by offering your layer to others. The preparation process might bring some interesting tidbits for your personal edification.

While I cannot say definitively, the Accordance Folk may even have an update in mind for the maps that includes such material. Often, though not always, a module or feature will mature over time

James,

I understand what you are saying, but most people buy/use maps for the data the maps contain. I'm not sure the best value is to buy a map, and have to reconstruct and spend the hours it takes to put a name to all the red lines if that makes sense. That would be like going to Barnes and Nobles before a road trip and buy a map, only to open the map up and find it is a fill in a blank map.....which is the exact reason someone purchases a map...the MAP is supposed to be the one filling in the blanks. That's what makes a "map" a "map."

Sorry if I'm coming across rude, and I actually think there is a sermon illustration in here somewhere...I've got to think on it a bit! :)

But I would make the case that most people buy a map because they need/want to have access to the information contained in said map, and don't want to create a map their self. (Thus removing the reason for buying a map in the first place.)

:)

I see your point, but I wonder if our modern methods of cartography actually cause us to miss the forest for a tree?

Perhaps if you don't have the time to research the road names for yourself, then you could find some solid resources (both ANE and Second Temple Era) with maps included. I have done this myself, in personal use, with the spread of Christianity ante A.D 70 and the spread of X post A.D. 70. I even included a foot note in small font at the bottom of the map layer, should I ever want to resource the monograph at a later time.. Just a thought.

There are some Bible Atlases available in Accordance that should have this information. We have the IVP Atlas now, in the essential IVP, and the Holman Charts, but neither really maps the roads. We hope to release the Macmillan Bible Atlas soon.

I think we should be able to release an update with color coding for the major names routes on these maps. It has never been requested, and there's the problem of finding time for doing it, but we'll try.

There are some Bible Atlases available in Accordance that should have this information. We have the IVP Atlas now, in the essential IVP, and the Holman Charts, but neither really maps the roads. We hope to release the Macmillan Bible Atlas soon.

I think we should be able to release an update with color coding for the major names routes on these maps. It has never been requested, and there's the problem of finding time for doing it, but we'll try.

Helen,

Thanks for the info.

Question for you, what do you consider to be the most elaborate Bible atlas to buy in hard copy form? There are so many, and I would like to buy one really good one to keep on hand at home for reference.

Wait a week or two and we'll have some great atlases available in Accordance.

:) You guys already have tons of good resources, so I don't doubt that. Trust me, I'm a HUGE fan of digital media; however I think it would be nice to own a hard copy atlas. I'm looking at purchasing either the ESV Atlas, or the Zondervan one. (I have the Moody one in Digital form)

So no suggestions on a nice, good, hardcopy one?

Thanks!

Archived