Suggestions for a Commentary

circuitrider

I am looking to get into a new commentary soon. What I am looking for is something along the lines of Clarke and Barnes. These commentaries have a bit of history, word study, and commentary mixed in. I mainly use my software for personal daily study and sermon preparation, so I enjoy reference tools that go beyond the surface a bit without wandering too far from the present context.

Any suggestions out there? What tool have you gleaned most from that is available in Accordance?

Thanks!

I am looking to get into a new commentary soon. What I am looking for is something along the lines of Clarke and Barnes. These commentaries have a bit of history, word study, and commentary mixed in. I mainly use my software for personal daily study and sermon preparation, so I enjoy reference tools that go beyond the surface a bit without wandering too far from the present context.

Any suggestions out there? What tool have you gleaned most from that is available in Accordance?

Thanks!

OT, NT, or both?

OT, NT, or both?

Either way, I think you'll do well to check out the NIV application commentaries. Honestly, I generally don't like 'application commentaries', what Fred Craddock called "Saturday Night books", but these are an exception to the rule. They dig sufficiently into the text, culture, etc and provide a bridge and very useful application into the modern world. I love them for sermon and lesson prep (for me, after reading WBC, Hermeneia, and the other DEEP commentaries).

OT, NT, or both?

I'd prefer something covering both but I would consider a source that dealt with one or the other.

I'd prefer something covering both but I would consider a source that dealt with one or the other.

WBC and NAC cover the entire Bible. ZIBBCOT/NT is also solid. I also concur re: NIVAC. I've been reading through Matthew as of late with it in parallel and have found it quite nice.

Anchor would be nice...

Anchor would be nice...

Even if Anchor were avail, not sure I would recommend it in this case.

True, it would not be the choice for devotional study or sermon preparation (an arguable point; I use critical resources in sermon preparation, i.e. in the exegesis of the pericope), but it would be great for critical study. I was adding Anchor-Yale as an item on the wish list, not suggesting it for the purposes noted in the original post.

Thanks!

The Tyndale Commentary Series on the OT and the NT has recently become available in Accordance. It has the characteristics of a commentary that you are looking for.

God bless,

Ron

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I'll have to do some more research and make a decision. At this point I'd like them all!

Wouldn't be nice if Accordance could offer a one book or one chapter sample of some of the modules so you could get the feel of them? It would be kind of like Amazon does for some of the books it has for sale.

Amazon or google books offer samples. The accordance module is the same material.

Archived