#41 Fr. Rusty

Fr. Rusty

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

Dear Helen: Thanks for filling in the blanks.
Not what I wanted to hear of course-smile- But thank you for the info.

I guess the other part I really don't understand is from a marketing perspective: I don't understand why Publishers don't make their texts available to all the software companies, this, to me, would often give them an opportunity for a wider customer base.
I "think" what happens is some companies get exclusive rights, at least for some period of time and, I suppose there are good resins for it that are way above my pay grade.

The difficulty for the consumer is that we have to invest in different platforms in order to get the resources we need.
With books, we may shop at different stores, but we don't have to but the store nor invest in it heavily.

As you say, it's a field that is changing rapidly, even more so after the iPhone /IPad , EReader explosion.
However, to some extent it does seem like the Biblical world of this is more territorial than other books/platforms.

At any rate, thanks for the info.

Blessings.

Edited by Fr. Rusty, 17 May 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#42 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 10,822 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

Publishers often do not have etexts for older works. If a company invests huge amounts in creating an etext, they may be justified in requesting exclusive rights to it for a period. However, we certainly do not require exclusive rights for ever on any materials we license from publishers.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#43 Fr. Rusty

Fr. Rusty

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Understood ( I think Accordance is a bit less secular in thinking than some, understand it is a business, but you folks to seem to set a different standard than some I have experienced- thats a compliment by the way-smile)

Back to the thread: I have a fairly large Library, takes up one entire room.
To move it takes many, many boxes and either a large box truck or a lot of room in a semi if I were moving across state.
The cost to move a physical library is high.
Yet, the same library takes up a small about of space on a computer, has no real physical weight, goes with you anywhere, and, most importantly, is searchable in many, many different ways, not to mention the ability to copy and paste, list references, show though slideshows , other screens etc. when teaching.
One just has a great deal more control and flexibility with digital than one does with hard copy books.
Thus, digital and the software to use it is really less expensive over time than hardcopy in many more ways than just the initial cost, it is more flexible and allows one many more opportunities to use their library in creative ways while allowing the ability to have good workflow at times and in places one would not have with physical books.

I still use my physical books and don't believe I will ever part with my Reference materials and older books.
Yet, most of my actual work and research/study is done with Software.
Still love to sit back with a good book as well though.

Hope that helps, just remember, the more physical books you own, the harder and more expensive it is to house them, move them and, if you have enough, keeping a room conditioned to care for them becomes an issue as well.

Blessings all.

#44 Chuck Schneider

Chuck Schneider

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:30 AM

I never used my physical library as consistently and extensively as I do my digital library. With a full-time job, and a family, the idea of digging deeper into the Bible frequently got a lower priority. That has completely changed for me with Accordance. I quickly check or read up on relevant materials from much of my library throughout each week as I work my way through a daily Bible study schedule.
OSX Sierra, Version 10.13.1, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
iPad Pro 10.5, iOS 11.1.2, 512 GB

iPhone 6, iOS 11.1.2, 64 GB

#45 Mark Nigro

Mark Nigro

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Theology, biblical and modern languages, motorcycles, classical guitar, technology
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Initially I had a hard time with the idea of primarily using digital commentaries. And in some rare cases, I do prefer reading from dead trees if it means consuming text at length.

But in this last year (and in part with the help of owning an iPad), my bias has changed greatly. The more I use digital commentaries (or digital texts in general and used in particular in Accordance), the more I realize the benefit and power this approach offers my workflow and study method.

I believe it is just a matter of habit and shifting to digital is the way I would counsel anyone to go. Unless there is a physical reason not to, such as the inability to read off a backlit screen. Otherwise, having the portability and search-ability at all times is priceless!

Using paper commentaries (which I still do as many of my books are not out in digital format) offers me no benefits over digital, while digital offers me everything paper can give and much more. In fact (for me personally) using both every week has only clarified the benefit of digital.

Edited by Mark Nigro , 21 May 2012 - 09:56 AM.

• Fr. Rusty likes this

Mark Nigro

Dean of Students and Director of Operations

Calvary Chapel Bible College
www.calvarychapelbiblecollege.com
http://uthinkology.wordpress.com

---------------------------------------------------

2016 MacBook Pro / 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

OSX Sierra 10.2

iPhone 6S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users