How to find words that occur more than once in a verse

circuitrider

I am sure this has been covered somewhere but I couldn't locate it on my own.

I was trying to find a verse that contains 'thoughts' a least twice in it. I found some by entering this search argument 'thoughts <FOLLOWED BY> thoughts' and also 'thoughts <WITHIN 5 Words> thoughts'.

Is there a way to use the COUNT command to find something like this? What are some other options to set up a search argument to find a word that occurs a certain number of times in verse?

Thanks!

The Followed By is the correct way to do it for a sequence of 2 or more, but if you want 3 or more in a verse you must create a construct search.

I actually blogged about this earlier this year. See here.

One change since then is that prior to Accordance 9, adjacent columns represented adjacent words, and you had to use the WITHIN command to allow for words to appear between the words in adjacent columns. In Accordance 9, adjacent columns no longer represent adjacent words, so you no longer need the WITHIN command. Just set up a construct with the same WORD element in two columns to find any verse with that word repeated twice. You can add additional columns to the same word repeated three or more times.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, David. You can also use Word * and then AGREE word to look for any words that are repeated.

Thank you both!

I know this is off the topic of this thread but I'll ask here anyway.

How do I set up a Construct Search for the words glory, power, and amen to search for all those words in any order like the this search argument would 'glory <AND> power <AND> amen'?

Just putting these words in subsequent Construct columns restricts the search to the order the words are placed.

Appreciate the help.

I just happen to have blogged about that too! :)

Searching for Word Clusters, Part 1 and 2.

I just happen to have blogged about that too! :)

Searching for Word Clusters, Part 1 and 2.

Excellent, thanks!

Archived