Tyndale Commentaries

John Fidel

If you have used this commentary in print and/or in Accordance, please review it for others' benefit, and give the module an overall rating in the top right corner by Rate Topic.

If you have used this commentary in print and/or in Accordance, please review it for others' benefit, and give the module an overall rating in the top right corner by Rate Topic.

Commentary on Ezra - Nehemiah by

I am preaching through the book of Nehemiah. I can say that the Tyndale commentary is one of the most useful ones. It is a VERY practical commentary and to get the most out of this particular commentary, one has to use it in conjunction with other commentaries. Why do I think this is a great commentary then? Because it is written to be enjoyed. Rarely do I ever pick a commentary to read at home for leisure, but this is one that I have picked several times. The usefulness of this commentary is on helping me tie together the rest of my studies into a practical lesson.

Hope this helps.

Victor Gutierrez

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

I have been wanting to expand my commentaries on the Old Testament, since like many, I have an imbalance in favor of the New Testament. As I was researching the various sets, I ran across a website, www.bestcommentaries.com. I was surprised to find the the Tyndale OT volumes are rated in the the top 3 for the following volumes: Numbers, Joshua (both #1), 1/2 Kings, 1/2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Daniel, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Habakkuk, Zechariah and Malachi. This is up against the major commentary sets. Needless to say at the current sales price I picked it up.

Another benefit of the Tyndale Commentary set is that it covers every book of the bible, so there will not be any updating necessary later to complete the set.

If you are looking to balance your commentaries out, you should look at this set before the sale ends. Reading it on my iPad is also a plus..

----------------

As a brief follow up to my post above, Ligonier Ministries' review of this series stated:

"The Tyndale Old and New Testament Commentary series is probably the most consistent commentary series available today. Most other series have some really good commentaries, some mediocre commentaries, and at least a handful of commentaries that are not very helpful at all. The volumes in the Tyndale series, on the other hand, are consistently good. The Tyndale commentary on Joshua is particularly good. Like Davis' commentary, this one is also written at an intermediate level and is accessible to all readers."

While commentaries themselves are not the best place to start your study, the introductions provide valuable information to consider before studying the text. I have started a study on Job and have found the introduction in the Tyndale Commentary very informative and helpful. I like that it is complete and yet still accessible to all readers. The commentary itself, while not as detailed or critical as other sets, is thorough and covers the important aspects of each pericope.

For me, having a set like this in Accordance is very important. No matter how you may feel about commentaries, whether you want them in paper or digital, having at least one complete basic commentary set in Accordance for quick reference is very helpful. It showcases the benefits of the software. The Tyndale set is priced well below most sets; highly rated amongst those that write and review commentaries; and accessible. For those that have been mostly using a study bible, this would be a great opportunity to step up to the next level of commentary.

May I ask your opinion of this commentary compared to EBC please?

I have watched the podcast but would appreciate your real use perspective.

I would really like the NIC series and am waiting for it, but was attracted by the current sales on this.

I have the EBC which is currently my goto commentary and I regularly use the PNTC (which I love), BST and NIVAC to help in BS and sermon preparation (I am a lay preacher in my church). NIGNTC is too technical for me.

As you say, my commentary sets are skewed to NT and I would love to balance up my OT collection. For this year, we are preaching through Isaiah.

Thanks for your thoughts.

May I ask your opinion of this commentary compared to EBC please?

I have watched the podcast but would appreciate your real use perspective.

I would really like the NIC series and am waiting for it, but was attracted by the current sales on this.

I have the EBC which is currently my goto commentary and I regularly use the PNTC (which I love), BST and NIVAC to help in BS and sermon preparation (I am a lay preacher in my church). NIGNTC is too technical for me.

As you say, my commentary sets are skewed to NT and I would love to balance up my OT collection. For this year, we are preaching through Isaiah.

Thanks for your thoughts.

First of all EBC is a very solid commentary set. The volume on Matthew is excellent. However, in my opinion there are two areas that cause me to prefer Tyndale:

1. I do not care for the way EBC is broken up between commentary and notes in two modules.

2. The Tyndale OT volumes are much stronger than EBC in my opinion. I am really impressed with the quality of most of the OT volumes!

I purchased Tyndale primarily for the OT with the NT as a bonus. I am very pleased to have this addition to my Accordance library. I do not think there is an OT set that comes close in quality for this price and you get a very good NT set included.

I hope this helps.

Very much, thank you. Exactly the input I was looking for.

Now the decision is do I purchase the Tyndale set now or wait for the release of the NIC series.... if only funds were unlimited ;)

Very much, thank you. Exactly the input I was looking for.

Now the decision is do I purchase the Tyndale set now or wait for the release of the NIC series.... if only funds were unlimited ;)

I don't think I can be of much help with your decision other than to say that the investment in the NIC is significantly more than Tyndale. The least expensive I have seen the NIC in digital is around $1,100, and that was on special. It regularly runs $1,600 in digital and print (Amazon). You need to evaluate the cost/benefit based upon your needs and budget. I do not know what Accordance will be pricing this at, or if they are going to break the set up.

Whatever you decide, you win.

All the best deciding!

Archived