HCSB Intro

R. Mansfield

I noticed that Accordance gets a pretty good plug in the intro to the Holman Christian Standard Bible:

The Holman CSB has used computer technology and telecommunications in its creation perhaps more than any Bible translation in history. Electronic mail was used daily and sometimes hourly for communication and transmission of manuscripts. An advanced Bible software program, Accordance

There is quite a long history behind our collaboration with the HCSB. Needless to say, we are gratified by their very public acknowledgement of Accordance. I have been using the HCSB intensively, and read it all through at least once, and I think it is a refreshing and accurate translation which reads very well. I wish it were better known, but it is early days yet.

We had a longstanding friendship with the first editor of the HCSB, Dr. Arthur Farstad (the former chief editor of the New King James Version), who had taught Greek at Dallas Theological Seminary. He wanted to utilize Accordance for the new HCSB translation, and after his untimely death this was continued by the translation team under Dr. Edwin Blum. Not only did they use Accordance to study the original texts and compare other translations, they made ongoing prototype modules of their work to compare with the original texts and to check the consistency of the translation. It was exciting for us to see Accordance used in this way, and we were glad to be able to work with this fine team of scholars.

they made ongoing prototype modules of their work to compare with the original texts and to check the consistency of the translation.

I heard that Paratext (a program used by the Bible Societies' translators) is able to check for consistency. How is it possible with Accordance? A new feature coming? :)

They used the standard Accordance features, after all it was published about 2 years ago. They compared parallel passages or did a search for a word or phrase to see if it was translated consistently.

I have been using the HCSB intensively, and read it all through at least once, and I think it is a refreshing and accurate translation which reads very well. I wish it were better known, but it is early days yet.

I agree with your sentiments, Helen. I've gradually been using the HCSB more and more over the past few weeks, and have really enjoyed it. For years I've taught from the NASB, but have become more and more aware that it is not always the best translation for public reading anymore. Yet I'm so used to its precision with the original text, it's been difficult to find a replacement translation for public use that I was comfortable with.

Well, after studying from the Greek NT, NASB, and HCSB side-by-side for the past few weeks, I am continually amazed not only at the accuracy of the HCSB regarding the Greek text, but also the skill with which the translators have rendered certain passages. It reads every bit as smooth as the NIV, but has a much greater accuracy and fidelity to the text in my opinion. I have now made the decision to begin teaching from the HCSB as my primary English translation whether at church or in the classroom.

Yes, it is fairly new translation, but of all the new translations, it's probably one of the least controversial. At the same time, however, I feel that as a new translation entirely--not a revision of a previous version--the HCSB is one of the most significant of the new Bible translations in recent years. I am hoping that folks will continue to pick it up and examine it for themselves.

Archived