working with text in Accordance

bikekr

I am a new Accordance user and have found the software rather difficult to figure out. Can anyone offer some advice on how to work with text in Accordance?

Thanks, Keith

Keith:

Welcome to Accordance! I think I just spoke with you (we do ask people to register with their real name) and clarified that you are wanting to edit text in Accordance, such as your sermon notes. The User Tool is the way to go, and if the notes are currently in a word processor, saving them as HTML and importing them into a user tool preserves font and style information, and headings, and automatically turns any Scripture references into hyperlinks. The HTML import has been further refined in the upcoming 6.9.2.

I suggest checking the Mini-Manual or User's Guide for details of working with User Tools. Perhaps some users will chip in with tips that they have found useful.

If working with text in user tools is what you are wondering about, one of the most helpful items in Accordance that I have found is the Text palette (Available from the Window menu, if I remember correctly). It gives you quick access to various text and paragraph style choices (size, font, color, alignment, etc.). If memory serves, there wasn't a lot about this palette in the documentation, but I find it very handy when I'm creating and/or editing a user tool.

I have also imported HTML files, and this works well, although I've had some problems with larger files. (This may be due to my limited memory and old Mac, rather than Accordance itself).

I do recommend the tutorial, the mini manual or the user's guide, although the structure of the last two doesn't always coincide with the way I would intuitively organize information. But there are probably as many ways to organize information as there are people in the world. No doubt what I would find more intuitive would be puzzling to someone else! If you've never worked with an interface like this before, it does take a while to get used to it, and it has so many features and options that the learning curve can sometimes be a bit steep, but it's well worth it, in my opinion. Each time I work with Accordance, I learn someting new I can do with it, much to my delight.

Good luck!

Lorinda Hoover

Archived