Acc 9 very slow, now stuck at "Where is the file "Map data"?"

Guntis

Today I purchased Accordance 9 Premier Library upgrade from v.8 Premier Library. AS I launched app I noticed that it works very slow, twice as slow as v.8. I removed all extra tabs, left only text and 3 commentaries in the workspace. Still very slow, scrolling was with jumps, not smooth as in v.8. So I decided to remove all folders, all settings and install it afresh. I moved all Accordance user folders and module folders (Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Accordance) to external hard drive. Reinstalled Accordance 9, opened, Accordance opened Easy Installation, and asked for NIV G/K module, clicked Cancel, then got stuck at the question "Where is the file "Map data"?" Can't get rid of that dialog , it jumps up again and again, blocks Easy Install window below it, and can't proceed with Easy Installation. Any suggestion?

P.S. OK, I manually copied Bible Atlas folder back its location, could open Accordance. But now it shows that all modules are installed, when in fact it has no modules! Where can I delete info about installed modules?

P.P.S. OK, found preferences, deleted, now I can install… Slowly some progress. :-)

[PROBLEM SOLVED. IT TURNS OUT SUITCASE FUSION 2 IS TERRIBLY SLOWING DOWN ACCORDANCE 9.1.1]

Today I purchased Accordance 9 Premier Library upgrade from v.8 Premier Library. AS I launched app I noticed that it works very slow, twice as slow as v.8. I removed all extra tabs, left only text and 3 commentaries in the workspace. Still very slow, scrolling was with jumps, not smooth as in v.8. So I decided to remove all folders, all settings and install it afresh. I moved all Accordance user folders and module folders (Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Accordance) to external hard drive. Reinstalled Accordance 9, opened, Accordance opened Easy Installation, and asked for NIV G/K module, clicked Cancel, then got stuck at the question "Where is the file "Map data"?" Can't get rid of that dialog , it jumps up again and again, blocks Easy Install window below it, and can't proceed with Easy Installation. Any suggestion?

P.S. OK, I manually copied Bible Atlas folder back its location, could open Accordance. But now it shows that all modules are installed, when in fact it has no modules! Where can I delete info about installed modules?

P.P.S. OK, found preferences, deleted, now I can install

If you cannot find the Map Data and point Accordance to it, you can temporarily remove the General file from both Accordance Preferences folders so that the rest of the Easy Install can proceed.

I got Accordance 9 reinstalled. Still the same sluggish performance. Even single Bible text with 3 commentaries in the parallel panes scroll very bad, with jumps and with some 1-2 second pauses. When I open Activity Monitor and scroll Accordance Bible text (with search results for "John" and additional context set to "0") in the background, CPU usage jumps to 89-97%. Just moving "Show additional context" slider to the right freezes Accordance for about 8 seconds! Does Accordance 9 need so much CPU resources? Or should I blame my 3 years old MacBook Pro? Accordance 8 in this Mac was OK. Not fast, but not slow either. Reading so many positive reviews and search speed increase, I expected v.9 to be even faster. At least on my Mac it's really slow. Considering moving back to Accordance 8

Some font management programs really slow Accordance. You may want to try turning them off.

Are you running any Font management programs? This thread indicates that some users have had speed issues due to using FontExplorer or Suitcase Fusion.

Lorinda

Some font management programs really slow Accordance. You may want to try turning them off.

Dear Guntis: Fwiw, It has been incredibly fast on my machine.

I did have one issue after upgrading from 8 to 9, but after a permissions repair, that issue was gone.

9 has been faster for me than 8, and my machine is about the same age as yours.

I have absolutely No scrolling issues, no lags.

Boot time for the app is directly related to how many items I have loading ( which is often many ) but other than that, everything is really fast, perhaps the fastest App on my Mac.

Processor loads are small, ram "freeing" is good.

I always "hate it" when it is suggested there is something wrong with my Mac, set-up , or that there are conflicting programs, but I will bet a dollar to a donut hole, there is something wrong in one of those areas, unless you install itself somehow got corrupted.

Hope this helps,

Rusty+

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

As soon as I turned off Suitcase Fusion 2, my Accordance is FLYING! :):o

The problem is I can't live without it. But I can turn it off when I need Accordance. I hope you will find some solution.

Problem solved. (Even launch time is twice faster!) Now Accordance scrolls 10 panes with 75% CPU usage - quite smoothly.

• 2 months later...

We think we've fixed some of the font management conflicts in Accordance 9.3, which should be out fairly soon. If you don't mind waiting a few more days, we can see if 9.3 solves the speed issue.

That's cool - I'm doing a 15-20 minute presentation in my Elementary Principles of Biblical Languages class next Tuesday. The professor asked if I'd take the time to share a little about how Accordance works with the rest of the class. I hope my microscopic understanding of the application doesn't detract from the coolness of Accordance and I give it a fair shake - I know that one person in the class has already purchased it because of my recommendation though

• 2 months later...

We think we've fixed some of the font management conflicts in Accordance 9.3, which should be out fairly soon. If you don't mind waiting a few more days, we can see if 9.3 solves the speed issue.

I am still getting slow results. It is a bit faster but if I highlight some text it does not scroll or just takes forever to move to the next screen. Very frustrating because it has limited my ability to use Accordance. Sorta like a gunfighter whose gun is stuck in the holster ;-)

Doug: Are you using any font management software? If so, what happens to the performance of Accordance when you turn it off?

I am also getting sluggish or jerky scrolling behaviour with 9.3.3. I have no font management programs installed. I have about 260 fonts.

CPU activity while scrolling seems quite a bit higher when using the mouse scroll wheel or touch pad (up to 90%) than when using the keyboard (up to 50%).

Archived