Strong's Question

James Taylor

My son was looking up a word (H3068) in our Strong's Concordance and found the word listed as Yehovah. I happened to have my iPad and did a search for 3068 in Strong's and it was listed as YHWH. Why the difference? Was Strong's updated at sometime?

Thanks,

JT

Hi James,

YHWH and Yehovah are really the same. Hebrew writing originally had no vowels, only consonants, so YHWH is how God's name would have been written. Depending on what vowels were used, it would have been pronounced either Yahweh or Yehovah.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

Yes, I'm sure they mean the same thing, just wondering why they are spelled different? It's the same Strong's Concordance I assume? Are there different versions of Strong's? If they are the same, when did the spelling change?

Just wondering :)

Hi James,

YHWH and Yehovah are really the same. Hebrew writing originally had no vowels, only consonants, so YHWH is how God's name would have been written. Depending on what vowels were used, it would have been pronounced either Yahweh or Yehovah.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

Yes, I'm sure they mean the same thing, just wondering why they are spelled different? It's the same Strong's Concordance I assume? Are there different versions of Strong's? If they are the same, when did the spelling change?

Just wondering :)

The divine name is four consonants (the Tetragrammaton). Hebrew uses a different alphabet than English and many other languages, so most names are "translated" by substituting a Roman letter for each Hebrew letter. This is called transliteration. There is no "official" or uniformly agreed scheme of transliteration. The Hebrew is the same (in this case; other names and words are spelled differently in different passages), but the English varies depending on how the translator transliterates. The first letter is usually rendered y, but in older methods it was a j. The second and fourth are usually rendered h. The third can be v or w. So you end up with yhwh (the usual modern rendition), but jhvh is the older form that Strong used.

Jewish tradition for centuries has been to NOT pronounce the divine name, but to say "LORD" when the text is read. That is why many English translations print the word in uppercase letters (to indicate translation of yhwh). "Lord" translates another word.

Shalom,

Michael

The divine name is four consonants (the Tetragrammaton). Hebrew uses a different alphabet than English and many other languages, so most names are "translated" by substituting a Roman letter for each Hebrew letter. This is called transliteration. There is no "official" or uniformly agreed scheme of transliteration. The Hebrew is the same (in this case; other names and words are spelled differently in different passages), but the English varies depending on how the translator transliterates. The first letter is usually rendered y, but in older methods it was a j. The second and fourth are usually rendered h. The third can be v or w. So you end up with yhwh (the usual modern rendition), but jhvh is the older form that Strong used.

Jewish tradition for centuries has been to NOT pronounce the divine name, but to say "LORD" when the text is read. That is why many English translations print the word in uppercase letters (to indicate translation of yhwh). "Lord" translates another word.

Shalom,

Michael

Michael, I think James understands what you said above. What he seems to be wondering is why there is a variance from one version of Strong's to another. My guess is that people who work with Strong's update the info at will, since it is a public domain work.

Michael, I think James understands what you said above. What he seems to be wondering is why there is a variance from one version of Strong's to another. My guess is that people who work with Strong's update the info at will, since it is a public domain work.

Thanks Michael - that must be the reason.

JT

Archived