Training Video

jarcher

I'm just considering buying the training video available for Accordance. I am a pretty basic user doing mostly simple English and Greek searches. However, I would like some extra help with some of the other features of Accordance and also how to use some of the other seach tools like the contructs, Hits, Contents, and Link commands.

Has anyone used this video before? Will it be helpful for me or I should I try to work through the manual.

Thanks,

Jeremy

I have the same question. I have read most of the User's Manual, but who can remember (and understand) all that information? I still feel I have just scratched the surface in learning the capabilities of Accordance. Is the DVD tutorial worth $19? I have been very hesitant to fork over this much money for something I really think should come free as part of the software.

The DVD is at present an introduction to the principles and interface of Accordance, and does not go into all the details of the searching.

If you have studied the Mini-Manual and looked up the search commands in the Help, your next resource with the fullest documentation is Chapter 8 of the User's Guide. This has quite detailed instructions and examples of the linking commands. Chapter 10 describes the Construct windo in detail, but for Greek and Hebrew you must then go on to the Grammatical Supplement.

I would be interested in feedback from users who got the DVD, and whether they found it helpful. It is very time consuming to produce, which is why we have not yet been able to complete it.

Thank you, Helen, for your reply. It appears the present DVD does not go into sufficient detail for me. I'm already familiar with the interface. I need more details and examples on performing searches, including using the construct pane, as well as other advanced features. I have read the User's Manual. While it is well written, it is difficult to understand and absorb because there are not sufficient examples demonstrating uses of the commands and features. Is there any possibility of getting either (1) a tutorial DVD, or (2) a revision of the User's Manual showing more examples of use of the search commands and advanced features?

We will be working on all our documentation during this year, and will do our best! It is a massive task. Even in our 8 hour seminars we cannot cover all the features and search commands in detail.

As some one who has used Accordance for years (primarily for in-depth Hebrew work) and just last year worked through the entire DVD tutorial, I have to say that it is extremely well done, both in terms of content and style, and is a steal at $19 for the amount of instruction you're getting. I recommend it without reservation, even to long-time users, because of the value of the presentation (I keep finding things I don't know about the program). As I recall, the Greek and Hebrew examples on the DVD are more than trivial, as well, so while it won't address all the features jarcher is interested in, you may still learn quite a bit. When I show Accordance to interested folks, I have the DVD sequence of topics in my mind as the basic roadmap...

p.s. when you're done, you can do what I've done, and lend your DVD to a friend who is considering Accordance! (viral marketing!)

Hmmm...

I suppose I should re-visit the training DVD when I have time.

I got it, went through it, and was disappointed, thinking,

"Is that all there is?"

Perhaps I'll have a different opinion next time.

Steve

We will be working on all our documentation during this year, and will do our best! It is a massive task. Even in our 8 hour seminars we cannot cover all the features and search commands in detail.

Helen

I am very glad to hear the documentation is being updated. I appreciate how massive a task it is. The current User's Manual contains a massive amount of information.

Regarding your 8-hour seminars, do you plan on scheduling such seminars in the southern California area anytime soon?

Helen,

What's the closest to Wichita, KS that you ever get?

SDG,

Robb

I purchased the DVD when it came out, and I found it wonderful. Although I had read the documentation, seeing the processes performed and hearing the narrator explain what he was doing taught me much better. The production quality is excellent, and the "camera" doesn't waste time on the narrator's face. Instead, it stays on the screen, showing everything he does. I am visually-oriented, so I learn by seeing and by doing. For my learning style (please excuse me; my brother is an educational psychologist!) the DVD was excellent.

I had many Eureka! moments as I said, "Wow! I can do that? Fabulous!" or "So that's how you can do that!"

I think it's worth the $20, less than most modules.

There was talk at the time of a sequel DVD, and I look forward to that one as well.

• 1 month later...

I noticed on the system requirements that the DVD plays on a computer (Mac/PC). Will it also play in a standard DVD player?

I noticed on the system requirements that the DVD plays on a computer (Mac/PC). Will it also play in a standard DVD player?

If it will play in a computer DVD it will surely play on an external DVD player hooked to a TV.

Actually, this is incorrect, because the disc is a data disc and the movies are QuickTime files (not MPEG2). You use either a Macromedia (Director?) interface or a simple HTML page to navigate the various units.

J. P. is correct, but it does not require a Mac, the DVD can be used on a Windows PC as well.

Archived