Photo

Recommended Accordance to a Friend, but...

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 Dennis M Callies

Dennis M Callies

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

Hi Jack, see this post for a full run down on the changes. Some of the highlights include WIFi sync with Accordance for iOS, the new Assistant Window, compare multiple texts, Search All sorting, and daily readings.

"This post" is very much appreciated. It gives a succinct overview of the changes. Of course the new Assistant window is a nice welcome. And what caught my eye in Assistant is the Daily Readings feature. I suggest that the Common Lectionary or the Roman Catholic lectionary readings be incorporated as an option in Daily Readings.
Dennis M Callies

#42 Steve Lo Vullo

Steve Lo Vullo

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

"This post" is very much appreciated. It gives a succinct overview of the changes. Of course the new Assistant window is a nice welcome. And what caught my eye in Assistant is the Daily Readings feature. I suggest that the Common Lectionary or the Roman Catholic lectionary readings be incorporated as an option in Daily Readings.

I concur with these suggestions.
Steve Lo Vullo

#43 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:scripture study, preaching, teaching
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

I concur with these suggestions.

+1
Michael
Accordance on Macintosh, iPhone, and iPad

#44 jackcav

jackcav

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Bible Teaching
    Database Programming
    Golf (but no time)
    Fishing
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:04 AM

Hi Jack, see this post for a full run down on the changes. Some of the highlights include WIFi sync with Accordance for iOS, the new Assistant Window, compare multiple texts, Search All sorting, and daily readings.

I was speaking specifically of the changes to the Library window. They were good, as far as they went, but still a very long way from being really useful.

#45 Fr. Rusty

Fr. Rusty

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

+1

+2

#46 Kevin Soars

Kevin Soars

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

Yes, please. Whenever possible!

Kevin.
Kevin.

#47 Fr. Rusty

Fr. Rusty

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

Yes, please. Whenever possible!

Kevin.

While we are talking about it: How about the complete R.C. "Liturgy of the Hours" and Morning and Evening Prayer ( Compline too please ) from the 79 BCP.

Thanks,

Rusty+

#48 FromOZ

FromOZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:17 AM

1. File > New > Search All
2. Type what you want to search for and hit the return key.
3. Feast on the results.

Hope this helps,

Scott.

Hi there

Not for me I'm afraid. I am a Logos 4 Mac user looking at Accordance and I would have to say that when one goes into the program the UI sparseness and lack of obvious direction to go in to use the software is somewhat intimidating. And I am not intimidated by computers and software - I have been using computers for, well a long time.

The nice things that Logos has is the passage entry + Go button which drops into standard template which opens up (as a starting point) a passage guide, an exegetical guide, favourite commentary + 5 favourite Bible translations. From the Bible text (well any text actually) one can right-click and drill down into words by English or original language analysis. It works well, and again that can be/is just a starting point.

Accordance needs something like that. I am looking through all the video training podcasts (that is a significant investment of time for someone who has not even bought the product (I have starter pack)) to see what functionality Accordance has and how much of similar functionality it has to Logos 4.

One thing Accordance does have that Logos 4 does not is speed. It is so wonderful to see things just appear - bam. I look at queries and think "did it not work? oh, it's finished already". And it does not kill your Mac's performance while doing it.

If Accordance could improve it's 'entry point' UI and sorry the 'Assistant Window' does not cut it yet while keeping its performance then that would be great.

I am going to continue to review the training podcasts, if any forum users could point out how Accordance can (if it can) display/show the same info as the Logos 4 default template screen that would be helpful.

Edited by FromOZ, 04 October 2011 - 03:29 AM.

#49 Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

if any forum users could point out how Accordance can (if it can) display/show the same info as the Logos 4 default template screen that would be helpful.

Can you provide a screenshot? I don't have Logos 4, so I don't know what the default template screen contains. (Nor do I know what a passage guide or exegetical guide are). With more info, I'd be happy to see if I could create a similar Accordance setup.

Lorinda

Running Accordance on:
Mac 10.15 (Catalina)
iOS 13 (iPad Pro)
iOS 12 (iPhone)
Windows 10

#50 Kevin Soars

Kevin Soars

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

Can you provide a screenshot? I don't have Logos 4, so I don't know what the default template screen contains. (Nor do I know what a passage guide or exegetical guide are). With more info, I'd be happy to see if I could create a similar Accordance setup.

Lorinda

Sorry, I don't know how that last addition got in <_< This is what I meant to add!

Please forgive me, FromOZ and Lorinda, may I add something which I should have added after Rusty's request? (I haved only just seen this!)

For those who are interested in the R.C. "Liturgy of the Hours" you might want to look at www.universalis.com

Kevin.
Kevin.

#51 Dick Roberts

Dick Roberts

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

Lorinda

Here is a screenshot of the passage guide which populates upon entering a text passage (in this case John 1.1). I use L4Mac as well as Accordance; but currently the Mac version of L4 is painstakingly slow and lacks a number of features available to the Windows version.
Acc 12.0
OSX Sierra
MBP
IOS
MINI

#52 Dick Roberts

Dick Roberts

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

Here is a screenshot of the passage guide which populates upon entering a text passage (in this case John 1.1). I use L4Mac as well as Accordance; but currently the Mac version of L4 is painstakingly slow and lacks a number of features available to the Windows version.

Here is a sample of the Exegetical Guide - the Exegetical Guide and the Passage Guide are essentially Search All features within a particular Accordance module or Tool set

Edited by mbcvida, 04 October 2011 - 04:38 PM.

Acc 12.0
OSX Sierra
MBP
IOS
MINI

#53 rcdeacon

rcdeacon

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Interests:Bible, computers
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

As a user of both programs I do appreciate the ability to simply type in a passage, hit "Go" and all purchased resources are listed and available. However, L4 is incredibly slow and unstable for me and has been for a long time. Although it did take a while to "adjust" to Accordance I would not trade its speed and stability. It has great note taking capabilities (which has been my pet peeve with L4) and even though the highlighting schemes are not as extensive in Accordance they are more than adequate and very customizable.

In no way do I wish to "dis" any product but for productivity and stability it is hard to beat Accordance. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob Deacon  Accordance 13, Ipad Air 2 IOS 13  Motorola G6 Play Android

Surface Pro 6 Windows 10

Pastor Buckhorn Baptist Church, Como, NC

#54 Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Here is a sample of the Exegetical Guide - the Exegetical Guide and the Passage Guide are essentially Search All features within a particular Accordance module or Tool set

Thanks! I started a new thread here with screen shots, etc. {The link was wrong initially. I think I've got it right this time!}

Lorinda

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover, 04 October 2011 - 05:11 PM.

Running Accordance on:
Mac 10.15 (Catalina)
iOS 13 (iPad Pro)
iOS 12 (iPhone)
Windows 10

#55 Mikew

Mikew

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

Is there a way to resize the assistance window? I'm new to Macs but not computers. I have an October 2011 Macbook pro (13") and have been playing with the demo to see if I would like the program. The assistance window takes up a lot of the screen on this laptop so it's not very useful to me.

I'd also like to see more options for linking. Specifically I'd like to see an option for setting a driver window (like one other current window program does or the old zondervan program for windows did). This would allow scrolling through a commentary article without the bible text jumping around. I understand that the goal is to keep things simple but I think that this change would make the program a lot more usable for those of us who primarily study in english.

Thanks

#56 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,057 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

Sorry, the Assistant window cannot be resized, but you can disable it from opening on launch in the Preferences, and then just choose to open it from the Window menu.

Not sure what you mean by a driver.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#57 mikes

mikes

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

I'd also like to see more options for linking ...
This would allow scrolling through a commentary article without the bible text jumping around.

This is quite simple to do, and there are three ways of doing it:
  • As a separate "floating" window
  • As a separate "zone" from your text
  • In another tab from your text (don't think this is what you're looking for)
Based on what you've mentioned, I think you want the separate zone. To do this, just open your commentary from the Library window.
See the attached image for an example where I searched for wbc, opened the commentary, then used the browser to go to the book intro for Zech whilst my text always at Zech 7... the two are totally un "Tied" (the Accordance term for "linking" between modules in different tabs/zones/workspaces.)

Attached Files

#58 Steve King

Steve King

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:05 AM

I'd also like to see more options for linking...

Just to add to what mikes has replied. Each resource (each will have its own tab) you have in a zone or separate window can be tied to a another resource or not depending on how you want to set it up. You 'tie' them by right clicking on the tab you want 'tie' to the 'driver' resource - then selecting the 'set tab' option - then selecting one of the listed resources that you have open to tie it to.

This is very flexible so that you can tie resources how you like. So your study bible might be tied to your bible text and move with that but two commentaries might be tied together so that they move with each other but not with the bible text. You can then save this as a workspace or if you have multiple separate windows a session. Therefore you can easily set up as many options as you want depending on the type of study you are doing.

There are many other useful features if you don't want to have commentaries or lexicons open all the time - You can set them up in their own workspace and then use your text to go to them (called amplifying in accordance). This is useful on smaller screens when you do not have the room to display all resources you might want.

Hope that helps

Steve King Running Accordance 12.3.4 on:

Mac 10.14.4 (Mojave), late 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro, 16Gb RAM

iPad2 IOS 9

iPhone XR IOS 12.2

#59 Mikew

Mikew

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

Just to add to what mikes has replied. Each resource (each will have its own tab) you have in a zone or separate window can be tied to a another resource or not depending on how you want to set it up. You 'tie' them by right clicking on the tab you want 'tie' to the 'driver' resource - then selecting the 'set tab' option - then selecting one of the listed resources that you have open to tie it to.

This is very flexible so that you can tie resources how you like.

Thanks, this answered another question I had (I bought a bundle and some resources on the Black Friday sale and am learning how to use the program). What I was suggesting is a one way tie. For example, I could tie a commentary to a bible and moving the bible position would change the commentary position but scrolling through the commentary would not change the bible position. Some commentaries aren't arranged strictly verse by verse. For example they will have an overview then a verse by verse. Going to a bible resource will link to the first section (overview of the chapter) and if I scroll down in the commentary to the verse by verse section the selection on the bible window will move. It would be nice if the bible window could set the position of the commentary window but I could scroll through the commentary without changing the focus verse in the bible window. With a commentary like the WBC that has multiple sections for each pericope (Translation, Notes, Form, and Comments) this would allow someone to read through all the sections on a specific verse without the bible window changing postions as you scroll through the sections. In another program that doesn't do asyncronous linking I work around this by linking and unlinking resources.

I think my primary use of the program will be working with the text so this isn't a significant issue for me (this program seems be exceptional at language studies and it is a lot easier to figure out than a popular windows based original languages program I tried unsuccessfully). Now I just need to save up some money for my wishlist :)

#60 Steve King

Steve King

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:25 AM

One option is to have the text and the commentary as panes of the same window (i.e. not in separate zones). You can then select the commentary pane and press the ctrl key as you scroll the commentary using the scroll bar which will not affect the other pane.

Steve King Running Accordance 12.3.4 on:

Mac 10.14.4 (Mojave), late 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro, 16Gb RAM

iPad2 IOS 9

iPhone XR IOS 12.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users