American colony photos

Alistair

I'm enjoying the old photos but find it strange (if not misleading) that 72dpi images would be described as "high resolution."

I would consider 600 dpi the minimum for high resolution.

("The module includes all the images in high resolution

I understand Alistair's concern. I think the issue perhaps is what the term "high resolution" means. It seems that anything over the standard 640X480 is considered "higher resolution" Today that seems to be replaced with 1024X768. Given that definition the photos are "high resolution."

Todd does an excellent job explaining about the resolution of the photos in his introduction. Open the module and browser then go to "How the Collection Came To Be" and there you will see what he means by high resolution.

I also own his Pictorial Library of the Bible Lands on CDs. Both the American Colony and Pictorial Library work great in video projection. They are high resolution enough for "full screen" when projected (as opposed to smaller thumbnail sized) that frequently appears on many websites.

The suggestion of Alistair to list the size in the description is not a bad idea. Nevertheless I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Tony Lawrence

Here's some interesting stuff about DPI:

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

If you drag some of the images in American Colony to your desktop you find that they are about a 1/4 to 1/3 of a megabyte each in size. They will usually display at 72 dpi on most computer monitors since that's what monitors display at. That's about 936 x 720 pixel dimensions on my monitor for many of the images.

On my 23" Macintosh display opening one of these clippings dragged from "American Colony" displays at about 10 1/2 by 13 inches in size. That's about 936 x 720 pixel dimensions on my monitor for many of the images. A barely "high quality" 10 x 13 inch PRINT would require a minimum of 2600 x 1950 pixels so the approximate size of the jpegs would then have to go to around 2.5 megabytes each. With 4000+ photos the size of the download would go to about 10 gigabytes. Imagine downloading that from your WiFi connection at the coffee shop- or having to purchase 3 DVD's to access it.

It would be great if all the photos were all of the quality of the picture of the Jerusalem Temple that Dr. J recently posted, but that photo downloaded to my desktop was 6.4 MB in size. With that as a standard, the 4000 photos would swell to over 25 Gigabytes- probably overwhelming your new 32 GB iPad 2.

It's just nice to have all these pictures available in an easily accessible format on my Mac and on my iPad.

Hi, Everyone!

[i am just now catching up on the forum threads that were posted while I was in Israel.]

Sorry for the confusion. I used the original publishers' fact sheets when putting together the podcast "Holy Land Pictures." The pictures that Todd Bolan included in his BP-American Colony were the ones the Library of Congress characterized as "high resolution." I am guessing they were digitized some time ago, as they are certainly not as "high resolution" as the ones in the PhotoGuide. However, I have found them to have enough detail to be very suitable illustrations for projection screens for large classes.

That said, the term "high resolution" is a rapidly moving target these days. My iPhone 4 takes photos at 5 megapixels; my Nikon D5000 has 12. Both have been described as "high resolution." I am willing to bet that neither will be thought so within five years.

Your post does raise an interesting point though, the need for a standard, understandable way to describe the resolution of photos and illustrations. I'll try to find one

The American Colony collection is fascinating. If 4000 images are inadequate the Library of Congress has just under 13,000 links available if you input "American Colony" into its search engine:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=%22american%20colony%22

"American Colony" Zeppelin brings up 13 images with the Graf Zeppelin overhead.

"American Colony" Lawrence brings up 13 images with Colonel T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia) in the Holy Land

A lot of these images show the effects of very poor storage with splotches and rotted out areas. Still very interesting.

Archived